• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Pearl TV (TVB?) and loving it. The road race today was awesome, those poor bastards. I was a bit worried that I'd be wading through the Games listening to Mandarin or (god forbid) Cantonese, but not only does Pearl have English, it's Australian English!

No it wasn't Indo, it is some other bloke who seems to be providing comments for just about everything. It's as if he is sitting in the media centre and watching the same Tv feed that the rest of us get. Doing an ok job though.

I'd have to add Steph Rice's gold this morning as another highlight. For all the media attention she gets you can't help thinking it must be a bit of a distraction, but she well and trully kicked some butt today, new world record as well.

One of the Oz commentators, talking about Michael Phelps, said ...

"Is there nothing this man cannot do?"

My response ...

"Probably run a 10 second 100 metres, ride a showjumping round and row a single scull, for starters." And, he probably cannot write a BASIC program that works, either!

What I would like to see is a Highlights and Bloopers show. One that gives you the ups ..the very extraordinary wins, and the downs - the stacks, crashes and falls. NOW that would be a programme to TIVO!

The marathon of swimming (except the new 10k race) is on in 2 hours. Australia's Grant Hackett is going for his 3rd gold medal in this event. He stamped his authority all over it in the heats and will be hard to beat.

This will be the highlight of the games for me.

I hope he can back it up Mantas - it was a powerful effort in the prelim's - I hope he left something in the tank for the final...especially as he has been ill.

I like Hackett. I think he is as Papabear would say a 'stout lad', and in years gone past did not get the same accolades as the shorter distance notables. He deserves to claim another big win today. IMHO.

It sure was a shame for Hackett - he was shattered (emotionally AND physically), and even more disappointing that he swam faster than the winner of the final in his heat...it is very hard to back up a distance heat and final. And he did say in his post race interview he wished he had been in the lane next to the Tunisian swimmer - he might have been able to keep pace with him better if they were side by side.

He is still a hero in my eyes - it was a great swim. It just was not quite the winning swim on the day. All credit to the Tunisian - now wont HE be a hero at home!!

what difference does lane choice make in swimming anyway? Is it like in running when runners prefer not to be on the very inside or outside lane or does it not matter one jot in swimming?

It's not a choice.

The middle lanes are considered best because that's where the fastest qualifiers and hottest competition will be. The outer lanes are 'usually' not worth worrying about as they are not 'usually' a threat. I use the word usually loosly as Kieren Perkins won that 1500m race in Atlanta from lane 8, the slowest qualifier.

Don't forget, it's hard to see the other lanes while your swimming.

Hackett is still a legend.

I would think having people on your left and right lets you see whats going on better. If you're in front, don't suppose that makes much difference!

As Mantas said, it is hard to see anyone other than the lanes either side of you. So, from lane 4, it wold be almost impossible to see someone in the outer lanes. Add to that - most swimmers breathe on just one side, so if the wide out swimmer is on the "blind" side, it's harder.

Hacks could easily have believed that he was in front, even though the other guy was, in fact, ahead, just because they were separated by 4 or 5 lanes.

In his post race interview, he said that he didn't see him until there was 300m to go. The Tunisian gave a mighty surge and put a body length on Hackett in 50 meters (which Hackett didn't see. It's not an excuse and he didn't put it forward that way. it was a brilliant tactic and all part of racing.

He is still the world record holder for the 1500m and if he had just done the same time as in his heat, he would of won.