Originally Posted By: great
It was very impressive, small part cgi or not.

On the subject of pipes, I just love pipe and drum bands. What a great sound. I want to go to the Edinburgh Tattoo one year.

when you eventually go, get tickets early, they sell out fast.

Dunno how they got it, but they were contacted out of the blue and initially thought it was a wind up. Only after doing some cross checking did they realise that it was for real!!
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lip syncing? whats the big deal? we all knew China would go to any lengths for the perfect performance and in world obsessed with image does it really surprise you? I am not at all surprised.

It's hardly Milli vanili.

That is not surprising but it really ticks me off.

The non cute kid has a gift ... voice.

The cute kid has a gift ... being cute.

It is very unfair to give both gifts (by stealth) to the cute kid! My friends son has an amazing voice - and auditioned to play Danny in Grease in his High School musical production. He does not have 'the look'. He had the voice. He was also asked if he would sing back stage while they had the kid with 'the look' up front and center. Too his credit he declined and took a smaller role ON stage. Thier Danny sucked!

Most people are not blessed with the gift of beauty, intellegence, and artistic talent as a complete package - so why pretend they are? We are not one big homogenous look/talent pool. No wonder so many people are queuing up to go under the surgeons knife!!!

It actually isn't all that surprising that the PRC is being a bit flexible with how they present their reality. This is a government remember that heavily censors all forms of media. It is all pretty standard for a manipulative and morally bankrupt regime.

Given the problems with drugs in weightlifting and the problems of determining the gender of most Chinese weightlifters, what are the chances that there is something dodgy with China's amazing success in this sport? In fact China's obsession the national prestige of topping the medal tally smacks of the East Germans 25 years ago.

Great ceremony, but got a bit long in the end...

The thing about the little girl, is that it was some high-up in the communist party that insisted at the last minute that she be replaced because she was too old. The other girl was in the rehearsals up o the last minute. That sucks.

The other girl with the good voice was actually quite cute too. But admittedly, the girl they chose looked like a disney princess.

Most of the chinese women athletes look like men.

The chinese Judo women who beat the Japanese chick in the semi finals DEFFO looks like a man. I couldn't believe it!!

Does anyone think there will be a scandal later on when its revealed that there were some improprities (sp?) with the Chinese medal winners?

One report I have read said the PRC has had more than (nearly?) 40 swimmers banned due to drug abuse in recent years. More than any other country. Given the pressure the competitors are under and the full-on national drive to top the medals table it has to be more than likley there is something a bit suss going on. We've seen it all before with other countries where governments use success in sport as a substitute for national, political and social progress.

Gotta feel sorry for any Chinese competitor who doesn't win gold - off to the salt mines with you! The look on the Chinese swimmer's face when he won silver said it all. No personal success or triumph there, just a ssense of abject failure and disapointment at being beaten by Phelps.

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Off to "slave labour camp #9" with him (and his family) to make Motorola cellular phones or Sony Playstations for export! lol

It probably is something like that. In the papers here they've gone on a bit about the sports development program in China and how there is somethng like 6,000,000 kids in special sports primary schools who mix schooling in with pretty intense sports training, the best of these kids join something like 360,000 kids in sports high schools and so on until China ends up with a handful (only 600+) at these Olympics who qualify for internation competition. For anyone who fails to make the cut, life gets pretty harsh as they haven't had the same level or quality of schooling that non-sports kids get.

From John Birmingham's blog in the Age. Can't help feeling that somewhere, deep down inside, this is exactly the sentiment the Chinese are hoping for from the rest of the world.

Welcome Glorious Chinese Overlords

August 13, 2008 | John Birmingham

My fortune cookie says it is time to abandon our obese American masters for newer, fitter and more golden Chinese future.

Thanks to the contributions of the many, patient, relentless and occasionally indecipherable Chinese bloggers who have made their temporary home here at the Limpy blog, I have seen the light. Well, that and the big heavily armed assault vehicle BOCOG's just parked outside the media centre.

I think we may have backed a loser, my friends, throwing in our lot with the world's most most obese nation and dumbest President - Georgian poobah Saakashvili notwithstanding.

I mean, look at the medal tally. These games have hardly begun and China have already served up a steaming bowl of pain noodles with a side order of humiliation wontons to the US of A, and there’d have been even more if Michael Phelps hadn’t personally intervened to double America’s sad little golden nugget haul as of last night.

So bugger all this banging on about personal liberty this and freedomy goodness that. I want Aussie Gold! stacked so high that you need to climb a pile of Aussie Silver! and Aussie Bronze!* just to set up base camp for the trek to the shimmering summit. And those fat fingered, lard butted, loud mouthed imperialist running dog Yankee know-nothings are not setting a shining example for our gallant little vegemiters to follow any more.

They're losing, and you know what we do with losers around here. Just as we abandoned perfidious Albion when England’s imperial mojo ran out, I say lets get in early and sever all ties to the fading hegemonic power of the US right now, before the closing ceremony. We could totally be the next Chinese province and on the evidence of the medal count so far, that means we’d be buried in gold baby! Buried in it!

So thanks, Uncle Sam. But no thanks. Your time has past, old man.

And I for one would like to welcome our new Chinese overlords.

Unless, you know, they choke or something, in which case, it's back to the luvin' arms of Dubya.

______

* No special Olympic italics for you Bronze. Try harder next time.

Quote:
VETERAN Australian shooter Russell Mark battled hard for a medal but finished fifth as a judging controversy enveloped the Olympic shooting competition yesterday.

Chinese competitor Hu Binyuan won bronze in the men's double trap event but few in the stands could truly say he deserved it. On at least three occasions in the tense final stage, Hu was awarded a hit by the Chinese judges despite clearly missing the target.

On each occasion there seemed little doubt, the crowd stopped roaring on their compatriot and hushed as murmurs of disbelief spread through the grandstand.

The controversial judging errors - made by local judges - gifted the Chinese shooter a medal and had Mark disappointed in the aftermath.

"One of them clearly he missed," Mark said. "I don't think anyone out there thought he hit it. If that had have been for a gold medal, I would have been protesting.

"The referees have to be in unison but there was a lot of doubt about a lot of the shots out there today."

Mark said he hoped the errors, each benefiting the same competitor, were by accident rather than design. "I'd hate to think that but you get the feeling out there, when someone clearly misses, all the shooters out there can tell if he missed or hit it. Everybody stopped," he said.

"I'm glad it wasn't for a gold medal because that is all that this Games would have been remembered for unfortunately."

But the judging controversy was the talk of the event. Mark also said that the judges had been unable to block out the influence of a raucous local crowd. "The crowd were yelling and calling shots in and out," he said. "It was like a circus out there … It would have been a brave Chinese judge that would have put his hand up [to signify a miss]."

Mark said he did not wish to use the judging as an excuse for his performance. "The position I finished in today is well above the position I am in the world," he said afterwards, admitting he was "well past my peak" as a shooter but had enjoyed a brief return to the fore of international competition.

I wonder this this Hu is any relation to Hu Jintao.
Originally Posted By: SG
Originally Posted By: bobby12

Most of the chinese women athletes look like men.

I watched the Softball last night - wow, the Australia team were scary! seriously.

I thought the same!!! My teenaged boys were horrified.
Some of the beach volleyball girls - for all the skimpyness of thier uniforms are also a bit on the scary side!

I was also SHOCKED to see a normal swimming cosie on one of the female swimmers a couple of days ago - no special shark skin super speed suit!!! I think she was Russian.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Our little girl that sang at the Sydney Olympic opening ceremony had uneven teeth as well. This chinese obsession of the perfect image to present to the west is quite bizarre.

r75192_212000.jpg

Can't remember that one,what was it like?