I'm no musician but I do love music and last night I was round a mates house and he has some software on his computer that allows you to mess around with sounds/drums/etc and really come up with some decent sounding stuff. Not sure what the software was called but it looked pretty in-depth and my mate had come up with some really good toons. Made me want to get into this for a bit of fun and I was wondering if anyone here is making music like even if just for some fun and messing about.

I have got FL Studio hooked up to a MIDI keyboard - now I just need more time to play with it. Lots of fun stuff and fairly easy to use. There are lots of more advanced programs out there but I found them much harder to use.

I have garage band on mac. Once you get past the loops, it's actually a full sequencer. Easy to use, you don't have to read music. Program whatever you want using dozens of software instruments or plug your own instrument or mic into the computer. The program can handle at least 8 tracks comfortably. It's part of the Mac software bundle and it's apparently a lot better than entry level stuff like 'fruitloops' or that 'band in a box' one. The one thing it doesn't have is full midi capacity, so for example, you CAN sample non-musical sounds but you CAN'T play them back as musical notes using a keyboard.

I have something called Magix Music Maker 14 on my pc and it is a lot of fun. Quite complex and could spend ages messing around with it all but you can quite easily come up with some really good sounds. If only I had more 'music' in me. lol

Magix Music Maker 14

I don't know how it comnpares to other ones but that came on my computer and it is tons of fun. You can buy extra packs of samples as well to expand on it. Warning - takes up lots of your time!

FL Studio you can set up the computer keyboard to be notes but I'v never done it so I dont know how easy it is.

Any MIDI keyboard will work better though - Im sure you should be able to get one from hardoff or somewhere for next to nothing. I use the one my parents got me in 1989 - it was still sitting around at my parents house.

Also there are tonns of tutorials on youtube for when your getting started.