Who here wears glasses?

I'm just about to mosey on down that road and having to buy my first pair. There's just so many - and so expensive when you add all the lenses etc. Some nice Armarni ones that I like best (and liked without seeing the brandname I may add!)

Thinking of getting some prescription sunglasses as well, but that bill soon builds up.

(Who is making the huge profits - the makers or the shops, or both?)

me jane, you're in this business aren't you?

Yep, r45. I work at a huge eye clinic combined with a glasses shop. As my boss keeps telling me, it's the biggest glasses store in Japan with 15,000-odd different frame types.

omg

I think its quite a bit cheaper than other shops but still makes more profit. The number of customers means they can afford to buy direct from the factories/producers. The shop part makes much more profit than the clinic cos clinic prices are controlled by the government.

I work doing copyediting and teaching but I can find out whatever you need to know.

Re. wearing glasses for regular mild short-sighteness.

It seems that unless your eyesight is causing other problesm like headaches, squinting or holding your head at a funny angle, wait as long as you can because once you get used to having the good vision you will not be able to manage without the glasses. I mean if you need glasses for driving but your vision doesn't bother you outside the car, just wear them for driving. Not wearing glasses when you are slightly short-sigted will not cause your vision to deteriorate any faster or slower.

A notable percentage of world supply of frames is, or at least used to be, made in a town called Sabae in Fukui. It all started when a farmer there looked for work they could do as a cottage industry when they were snowed in in winter. Its a massive industry there now.

I went the other way. I used to be coke bottles until 16, then got GP contacts which hurted like hell. After my eyes were almost drying up, had them lasiked. Not looked back since. Best thing I ever did.

Straight after lasik, it was something like 20-20 for about a year, now with a few more years down the line, it's more like 20-25. Still very happy with it.

Were you long or short sighted Thursday?

My babybear has coke bottle glasses for long-sightedness.

Papa has just got some driving/TV glasses, but his is age related - other than that no glasses needed in this house.

We noticed babybear when he started school because his right eye would turn in toward his nose by the end of the day - it was quite freaky. Basically he had to work so hard to focus on the reading that his eye muscles got tired and the eye would swing in 'cross-eyed'. With strong lenses he doesn't have a wandering eyeball anymore.

But we face problems when he plays rugby, snowboards, and I suppose most sports. I tried getting contacts for him - but that was a disaster...the optometrist wouldn't sell the "horrid abusive nasty mother who was holding the kid down" the contacts!! I considered getting him some snow goggles made in his prescription. I think Lasik is reseved for Adults only...but it would be nice to find some kind of better solution for him.

I was mega short sighted with astigmatism.

I played football and rugby without glasses and it only was a problem during dim light when I had to catch the ball. Without being able to see the ball proplerly, you need to concentrate on the sounds and what what other bodies are doing to anticipate where the ball is going.

Glad I don't need to do that anymore.

I've been wearing them for 5 years now - - I was the same I put it off for some time and was amazed when I first put them on and things were suddenly in better focus. Don't mind wearing them at all. Mine are... .don't know the make, look pretty good thou

150000! wow. thanks me jane for the advice. But I believe I would now miserably fail a driving eye test. But I wouldn't overdo it just when I needed.

wavey

Originally Posted By: thursday
had them lasiked. Not looked back since. Best thing I ever did.

amen to that brother. I HATE glasses, hate hate them.

Hey Indo! - its called Presbyopia (Greek word "presbys" (Ï€Ïέσβυς), meaning "old person") describes the condition where the eye exhibits a progressively diminished ability to focus on near objects with age. doh grandpa evilgrin
Originally Posted By: SG
amen to that brother. I HATE glasses, hate hate them.

Hey Indo! - its called Presbyopia (Greek word "presbys" (Ï€Ïέσβυς), meaning "old person") describes the condition where the eye exhibits a progressively diminished ability to focus on near objects with age. doh grandpa evilgrin

That's what I have. Progressively lengthening sight. I managed 45 years without glasses, but now I need them to focus on anything closer than my feet. I have pairs of 1.5 & 2 dioptres magnification for different distance ranges (computer vs. benchwork). They cost 100 Yen from the 1 coin store.