Some of the marketing material for those apartments really was beyond the pale. I don't know if it is being too harsh to say this but it was perhaps as bad an example of the Niseko hype as any I have seen.

Hope Moiwa doesn't close down though, it is a great little place on the right day.

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll

Hope Moiwa doesn't close down though, it is a great little place on the right day.

itd be nice for skinning then. thats the kind of place that would make moiwa better! no lifts running! no cat operation either please! the trees, while arent steep at all, are awesome. actually, all of hokkaido is like that to me. some of the most fun tree runs in japan. except, the best trees in japan, that i have done, are in hakuba. f'ing epic runs there and prolly some of the most fun tree runs on the planet - or maybe they just suit me to a t smile

I hope the resort shuts down, just so punters wont go there. I would skin and ski that rather than deal with other resorts around there in a heartbeat. That would make it much more attractive in my book as joe schmoe isnt going to go there and hike for turns.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
That would make it much more attractive in my book as joe schmoe isnt going to go there and hike for turns.

Too true!
I am not adversed to a bit of a hike, but I can't tell you the amount of times I heard Papabear say "Rule number one - never walk when you can board and lift it" while we were at Falls Creek last week!...
So many times we had to board DOWN to catch a different lift back up to save us a 5 minute hike across!!! I just shake my head!

So yeah - you certainly would have the place to yourself for the most part. And deservedly so!

cant sled moiwa though, the cops would be after you. have you seen any of the footage of the cops with sleds/helis chasing people up in Hokkaido? I think the footage I saw was out towards Tokaichi area...Moiwa is small nuff that you could do 4-6 laps worth.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
500 vertical meters is quite a skin up through snow. id say that you would skin 1.5km to 2kms before the top. 6 laps would be pretty much hard to achive

...and that is the biggest draw back to hiking the hills. I know, each to his own and all that, but if your aim is to slide down hill on snow, spending all day to get 5 or 6 runs in kind of misses the point. Obviously the best of both worlds is to fine a lift severed place with no one around - ironically, that's Moiwa's biggest appeal - but those places aren't all that common.

I haven't been to Moiwa on a big powder day. Does it get very busy?

I love Moiwa, low cost great powder and a variet of runs, had three fantastic days there in January, one we were skiing knee deep powder on the main runs for most of the day untracked.

I looked at the apartments, it was a total con job, the fee's were through the roof, the restrictions on use (just two weeks) made it so even though you owned it, you could not use it.

I assume the promised new lift from the apartments into the resort is not happening.

Shame in a way but the apartments were grossly over priced.

I hope no one got caught

There are benefits, well in some peoples eyes - things like having a place in a place you like guaranteed (no messy planning holidays) for however many years, being able to swap it in the event you want to go somewhere else with a 'guaranteed' simular quality etc.

My parents have one.

Fantastic place it is, very luxurious, very select, they love going there every year. It is kept to the same high standards that it was 15 years ago when they bought it. 6 people can very comfortably stay there and they pay around 500 quid a year for maintenance. Works out extremely cheap for what it is.