I wonder if we've just lost one of the SJ crowd.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
I've seen inexperienced skiers and snowboarders fall off this lift with nothing damaged but their pride.

As are most of the accidents in snowsports - a bruise here, a bump there, pulled muscles. But we all know that we risk breaks, more serious injuries and in some very sad and rare cases death. And as Koko knows well - sometimes the accidents happen in the most innocous of circumstances.
Originally Posted By: Stuntcok
The terrain it accesses is more dangerous than the lift. If you are not comfortable with the "sligshot lift" don't get on it. The reason it is a drag lift is because wind issues would keep a chair down more often

Its the same in Scotland, and when I was there, I checked if the lifts were on, if they weren't then I stayed home. Like I said though I have improved a hell of a lot since the last time I was boarding back home so would be comfortable with the tows now. (or so I reckon!!)

One or two of the resorts here in Japan has the same kind of lift where people hold on and are pulled up, but they are slow and the slopes are short, also only one person at a time holds the bar not four, actually good fun to be pulled up by it on skis I tried it once, but maybe if you are going at speed it would not be so good, if you happen to let go and slide backwards.

I once saw a 11 year old boy fall out of a chair lift, he fell about 6-8 meters onto some semi-soft snow. I think he was OK. The reason was that the 3 boys didn't have the safety bar down. It was a great lesson for my kids who saw the whole thing.

Had 2 incidents couple of weeks ago...

both involving children.

The lifts were pumping at Falls Creek - moving the crowds, loaded to capacity, back up the mountain. The were not going slow! One quad in particular really 'swooped' you up off your feet. A little tacker from ski school was on the far right of the chair with his 3 classmates in the other 3 positions, but he was not ready - it was a travelator to step on - and he was still shuffling to be in line with the others...well the chair fairly whacked in the hip and sent him flying off onto the right hand snowpack - OFF the travelator ... face down in the snow. Poor little mite. The lifties picked him up - missed the next chair - plonked him on the following chair alone - and then got back to the business of max. loading. He had a few tears.

The exact same chair - the exact same position our little guy missed the jump (his ass is not high enough to be swooped - he has to jump up) - and he flipped onto his stomach, facing butt up the mountain, hanging onto the rear of the chair and his brother for dear life. His brother pulled him back up onto the chair, he flipped onto his butt and we lowered the safety bar. Good job too coz no-one even noticed - the lift was still powering up the mountain and we did not get that safety bar lowered until we were QUITE high up! Would have been a decent fall for a squirt.

It is sensible for kids to be compelled to ride with adults (even if this adult sat as far away from THAT kid as possible on that particular chair ride because that particular kid had got up her nose big time (Is that a strong dose of Mama guilt, Mamabear?).

I thought the main reason they were there was to half-heartedly brush the ski lift seats with those little broom sticks they have. (Especially when it is sunny and nothing to wipe off them).