Paying more for a bit more legroom

I'm flying back to England this summer on KLM. Previously with BA I have always done by best to get one of the seats next to a door (ie. more legroom and no-one in front of me) and I am usually successful.

This time I noticed on KLM that to get one of those seats guaranteed it is 50 euros. 8000 yen I don't particular want to pay, but if I can get that seat guaranteed I suppose worth it. I couldn't cope with 11 hours in the middle of the masses.

Is this a new thing or just KLM? I suppose they are all finding ways to get that bit of extra cash.

Don't tell the airlines but I'd pay it if it meant being in a decent seat. Once I was in the middle of the main cattle class area, right in the middle surrounded by students on a trip. Hell it was.

Nothing worse than being surrounded by kids on a school trip!!! BOC I can relate!!

Papa and I dumped the 4 kids and knicked off for a few days on the boards at Thredbo last year, and where did we get sat? Yup! Right smack bang in the middle of 6 rows of kids from one school to the front of us, and 8 rows of kids from another school behind us! They were teenagers too - the kind that threw food at each other and stuff! Grrr!!!!

We never get those exit rows when we travel because you have to be an adult - and we most always travel with our kids - precluding us! Wah!

Originally Posted By: scouser
I'm flying back to England this summer on KLM. Previously with BA I have always done by best to get one of the seats next to a door (ie. more legroom and no-one in front of me) and I am usually successful.

I've tried to do this many times but never succeeded. What's the trick?
Quote:
I've tried to do this many times but never succeeded. What's the trick?

I don't know Mantas. Other than natural charm and charisma, this is what I do:

Login and do the online checking as soon as it opens - trying before the 24 hours starts and then checking every 5 minutes to make sure I have as much chance as possible.

Before online checkin, I used to make a point of it when I booked and phoned the airline up telling them how big (but not heavy fat) I was. And when I get to the airport be as kind looking as possible and lean over the counter on my tiptoes to make myself look bigger.

Basically, anything to get one of those seats. I would say out of the last 10 times I have flown long haul, there was only 1 time when I didn't get a behind exit door seat.

wink
  • 2 months later...
Originally Posted By: scouser

This time I noticed on KLM that to get one of those seats guaranteed it is 50 euros. 8000 yen I don't particular want to pay, but if I can get that seat guaranteed I suppose worth it. I couldn't cope with 11 hours in the middle of the masses.

Is this a new thing or just KLM? I suppose they are all finding ways to get that bit of extra cash.

On KLM, the exit row seats are next to the middle bulkhead which is the only place they can set up the baby basket. They'll put you there for nothing if you've got a sprog. So if you pay extra, you're chancing it on being right next to the youngest passengers on the plane.

Cant you pay for 'premium economy' on some airlines now? Its about 6man extra for long haul and you get a bigger seat in width/length, plus its right at the front of economy class.

I got upgraded once to that 'class'. It didn't seem much different from normal Economy, still way too small. I suppose the comfort thing is for the Business and First to cover.

I am going to make everyone very jealous. Friends of mine just came back from Singapore and flew 1st class on the new Airbus A340 - had their on sleeper and hostess and as much Moet as they could drink. I went into shock when they told me the price so don't quote me but I believe she said it was $10,000 each.

I will be thinking of them as I squish into my JAL economy seat

Wonder if they need a butt monkey!!