Lots of superficial damage, and a few minor injuries, mostly from people panicking and falling over.

Japanese style lightweight construction is much to be preferred over brick and tile in the event of an earthquake.

Just showing the earthquake map on the news now. ... Shizuoka with a 86% of a biggie in the near future. Never heard of one in that area actually, lets hope it stays that way.

The whole of Japan is seismically active. Some parts of Japan are able to store more energy than others, depending on the type of faults locally. Kobe (The Great Hanshin Earthquake) wasn`t historically a "big one". It occurred at shallow depth directly under a densely populated city.

Lesser earthquakes than Hanshin typically kill 10-20 times the number of people elsewhere. The next plinian volcano eruption will be far more destructive than any volcano. Fortunately they only occur every million years or so.

Tokyo is supposed to get hit by a big quake in Aug or more likely Sep this year, although I hope that is wrong!

I think it doesn't matter where in Japan you are no where is immune to quakes here.

I predict that there will be an earthquake of more than magnitude 5 in somewhere between Shizuoka and Tochigi before 30th November 2008.

I ADVISE THAT YOU TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY AND TAKE ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS.

WOW! GG - I dunno how you do it!

Aki, I have seen some great documentaries recently about earthquakes, seismic area's and the research that is always being done - especially in Japan. The more information the scientists get the more change they have of having some warning time - I think if people felt they would get even just 5 seconds warning that a quake is coming it would make people feel less scared. Being able to prepare yourself and grab the children BEFORE it starts would be much better I think. People are generally tough - it is the SURPRISE factor of quakes that makes people fearful.

Looks like this backs up what I said a couple of days ago!

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
I predict that there will be an earthquake of more than magnitude 5 in somewhere between Shizuoka and Tochigi before 30th November 2008.

I ADVISE THAT YOU TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY AND TAKE ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS.