In the 007 flick You Only Live Twice, Blofeld's lair is inside a volcano.

I've seen the making documentary of the film and also done a few searches but I am still unclear as to where exactly that is, there's conflicting info out there.

I know it is Kyushu - some places say Aso-san, some say Kirishima.

Anyone know exactly the name of that crater?

Hi big-will

I can help. I always loved that film, got me interested in Japan even (maybe).

Blofeld's volcano is Mount Shinmoedake 新燃岳 in Kirishima yaku National Park, Kagoshima.

Never been but I have always wanted to. It's on my 'places I really want to visit' list.

No rocket spaceships of helicopters in these photos, though Blofeld always was a bit publicity shy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Shinmu-dake&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.171443,66.445312&ie=UTF8&ll=31.90321,130.914803&spn=0.126057,0.259552&t=h&z=13

2006_0123006921.jpg

2502kir1.jpg

takachihonomine_shinmoedake.jpg

kiorisima911210.GIF

DSC08097.JPG

DSC08128.JPG

I vaguely remember that film (or was it Dr Evil!)

Looks like a fantastic area though. Anyone on here from down that way?

I watched that movie last week after seeing this thread. Looks like a really interesting area to explore down there. Love that kind of landscape. I went up to Zao last summer to the crater up there, fascinating places.

I went to that area last October. Really enjoyed it and the landscapes really are quite impressive. Get lucky with the weather and it's great.

When I went it was fantastic weather and very clear. If you like the look of the photos, a definitely good place to visit. I didn't see Blofeld though. He might have moved on.

• 8 months later...

Those Toyota 2000 GT Sports are a cult collectors item.

Even as early as 1977, when there was a boom in super cars, they were worth 10,000,000 Yen. Toyota made a 800 cc version of a similar design, and I wish I bought it.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...