Hi there, new here.

Has anyone else learned to drive in Japan?

I am wanting to learn and just looking into it and was quite shocked at the amounts of money involved. It sounds like a total ripoff especially compared to back home (Canada) - almost might be worth going home just to learn!!

I find the little learning school courses quite cute though wink

You may well be right mukade. One of those things where it seems you have to jump through expensive hoops for the privelege (sp). Good luck - and do let us know those costs, I'd like a good laugh!

It varies from school to school, but generally 250,000 to 300,000.

Its cheaper in inaka. Look for a school that does inhouse driving tests, not just driving practice. They are far easier to pass than the "tobikomi" tests run by the police, mainly for existing drivers who've lost their licences. With any school I think you have to take a police-run paper test, but its just true/false questions.

The big one now is that they probably won't let you switch over your foreign licence to a Japanese one if you only go home for a month to learn. They will look at your passport to see how long you were overseas after getting your licence. Its supposedly due to Japanese kids getting US licences during study overseas, switching them to Japanese ones, and then causing lots of accidents. The assumption is that if you can't prove you were overseas for very long after getting your licence, you can't have much driving experience.