A tasty bit of crumpet for the lads.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Quote:
As with most baked goods in the UK, there is an almighty bloody row just bubbling beneath the surface over the naming, appearance and origins of crumpets. Some say they are those things with holes in that look like a circular bath sponge, which you cover in butter, jam or something savoury, but others say that they are thin and floppy ? more kitchen scourer than sponge.

Those in the Midlands confuse matters further by calling anything vaguely crumpet- like, a pikelet. I mean, can't we all just get along? Crumpet is also slang for an attractive woman, though the word is now more associated with the attractive older woman. The phrase "thinking-man's crumpet" is used to describe celebrities who have both brains and beauty, with Joan Bakewell being the most cited example. Generally, the term applies to a woman who looks as if she may be willing to be a whore in the bedroom, an enthusiastic cook in the kitchen and a jolly useful addition to the pub quiz team.

I have to disagree with your quote, pie-eater. I can assure you that in the Midlands, a crumpet is the thing above, thick and crispy with holes. A pikelet is thin and floppy, and is an abhorrence.

As for the "thinking man's crumpet": Joanna Lumley. wink