Any resorts investing in new lifts / facilities?

Quote:
SH, I hope you loved the food because many of the dishes that you ate would have contained meat products such as fish paste, fish sauce, stocks etc for flavouring. My Bro in law came here and is pretty strict and ended up eating crepes, vege pizzas, and tofu salads for 2 weeks.

Why not stay home in the coccoon? That way you will never be poisoned by foreign muck.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I can be pretty anal about my food but I had a blast and tried everything I wanted to. It is very hard to mask meat products in Ice Cream, Chocolates and tempura vegetables (just kidding I did eat other things) and funny being a vegetarian I actually don't like Tofu!!!!!

I know international investment is not a good thing to the locals BUT then on the other hand is it. It brings in the tourists which must boost the local economy surely Niskeo from what I could see seems to be a farming community which must produce milk, cheese, potato etc. So surely the farmers and their families benefit from the boom????

Where the resort has had an opportunity to look at what has been happening, in terms of development, and as a responsible company, plan for the future, the resort has not listened to any of the local companies about how to sucessfully deal with problems that have arisen.

some points to note:

1. There are still only the small shuttles that do the loop through the lower village despite an increase in bedding numbers of around 500.

2. The lower village loop has remained on the same route despite a significant increase in development in the lower 'lower village' making it difficult for those to access the shuttle bus without a significant walk up the hill. NB not a problem for me but as more families come with children, this is a significant concern that needs evealuating.

3. The new lift that was built did nothing to relieve the crowding on the Gondola, only place more beginner skiers and boarders in the middle of the busiest piste on the mountain.

4. With the development of Izumikyo, there have been constant complaints from visiotrs that resort services are inadequate in such a strong growth area in terms of shuttles, snowclearing, resort information and access.

It has been mentioned several times before that Tokyu Resorts do not have any working relationship with foreigners who may be equipped to listen and work with major companies in the area and this is to their detriment. Tourism bureaus, promotion boards from regional centres such as Kutchan, Niseko, Hirafu etc find it difficult to agree to common ground, plus a lack of clear direction towards the future could be a recipe for a disaster here but I honestly think that there are enough inteligent and willing bodies and minds to make things work.

Hanazono, for one, is tapping into this and offering a free shuttle to thir resort each morning and afternoon to try and relieve the congestion, they are building eating facilities to accommodate approx 400 people, a ski school too. With their experience they will hopefully show Hirafu what can be done and how to do it.

Here is hoping it is not too late.

Tokyu is maybe one of the worst run companies in the world. If it was in any other G8 country it would have been taken over long ago. They have zero capital but they do nothing to raise it. I would love to see that company just roll over and die!

Tokyo sounds like the archetypical Japanese company that has been given a lifeline (without any effort on their part) but is failing to grasp the opportunity through a lazy mentality that opposes change in any form or fashion. If that's not PC, then so be it. Nobody can argue that it's not a scenario uncommon throughout Japan.

They paid a huge 2 cents a share last year!

They owe 900 billion yen which only decreased 12billion last year.

Thus my uneducated financial conclusion is??? How are they going to

find the money to upgrade jack beep. They cant, a good company

would look for partners. There are partners here in Hakuba that want to inject capital but this ridiculously run company wont even think of that.

I would hedge a bit that there are people in Niseko that would inject capital into the resort as well.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
They paid a huge 2 cents a share last year!
They owe 900 billion yen which only decreased 12billion last year.
Thus my uneducated financial conclusion is??? How are they going to
find the money to upgrade jack beep. They cant, a good company
would look for partners. There are partners here in Hakuba that want to inject capital but this ridiculously run company wont even think of that.

I would hedge a bit that there are people in Niseko that would inject capital into the resort as well.

FT, if they're in debt, it's not a good idea to pay dividends. Like you say, what's the point of turning down help or capital? I'll tell you the answer: control.