A mother has been voted Glasgow's 87th most popular tourist attraction after being accidentally registered on TripAdvisor.

Mary Johnston, 60, from Bellahouston, in the south side of Glasgow, was given four five star ratings on the popular review website.

A smiling photo of Ms Johnston accompanied her ranking which saw her sandwiched between 88th placed gig venue - The Hydro - where Beyonce recently performed - and 86th Ruchill Park, which is said to offer 'the best view in Glasgow'.

Trip Advisor’s automatically generated text asks users on the website: 'Been to Mary Johnston? Share your experiences!'

Ms Johnston is rated far higher than many of the 163 attractions listed in the Scottish city.

One TripAdvisor, Perrierdoumbe, wrote in his review of Mary: 'This attraction wasn’t in the guidebooks but is fun for all the family if you’re a fan of people called Mary or rotationally-challenged photos.

'The doorman seemed a bit grumpy though and didn’t seem to want to let us in.'

Jon Pavelin wrote: 'I’ve met other Mary Johnstons around the world but never a sideways one. Mary, put the kettle on, i’m on my way round after work the night. Top banana.'

But when Ms Johnston, who has two grown-up children, found out she was on the website she was horrified and blamed a glitch in the system for her being signed up.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

"Survey: South Koreans Prefer Kim Jong-un to Shinzo Abe

For the first time, Shinzo Abe is perceived less favorably than Kim Jong-un in South Korea.

Public perceptions, while they don’t drive foreign policy, have a moderating effect on the extents to which nations can relate with each other. Ever since Prime Minister Shinzo Abe came to power in Japan, perceptions of Japan have declined in its immediate neighborhood. Both China and South Korea in particular have grown noticeably cold towards Japan – not entirely without reason, as Abe has given them plenty of reason for concern. Abe’s decision to visit Yasukuni Shrine in December 2013 added to concerns that he was out to revise Japan’s post-war pacifist stance.

A recent survey out of Seoul finds that Abe’s reputation is such that South Korean respondents ranked North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un above Abe in a survey of global leaders. The survey is the bi-monthly leader ratings survey from the Asan Institute for Policy Studies in Seoul. This is the first time that Abe has polled below Kim Jong-un. According to The Wall Street Journal, Kim Jong-un “had a rating of 1.3 on the survey’s 0-10 scale, compared with 1.1 for Mr. Abe. Of those questioned in Asan’s March 3 phone survey of 1,000 people, 61% gave Mr. Abe a zero rating, compared with 58% for Mr. Kim.” A couple months ago, Abe tied with Kim Jong-un – both fielding a 1.0 score. Barack Obama has consistently topped the ranking since September 2013, with Xi Jinping in close second."

source: The Diplomat.

"Survey: South Koreans Prefer Kim Jong-un to Shinzo Abe

For the first time, Shinzo Abe is perceived less favorably than Kim Jong-un in South Korea.

Public perceptions, while they don’t drive foreign policy, have a moderating effect on the extents to which nations can relate with each other. Ever since Prime Minister Shinzo Abe came to power in Japan, perceptions of Japan have declined in its immediate neighborhood. Both China and South Korea in particular have grown noticeably cold towards Japan – not entirely without reason, as Abe has given them plenty of reason for concern. Abe’s decision to visit Yasukuni Shrine in December 2013 added to concerns that he was out to revise Japan’s post-war pacifist stance.

A recent survey out of Seoul finds that Abe’s reputation is such that South Korean respondents ranked North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un above Abe in a survey of global leaders. The survey is the bi-monthly leader ratings survey from the Asan Institute for Policy Studies in Seoul. This is the first time that Abe has polled below Kim Jong-un. According to The Wall Street Journal, Kim Jong-un “had a rating of 1.3 on the survey’s 0-10 scale, compared with 1.1 for Mr. Abe. Of those questioned in Asan’s March 3 phone survey of 1,000 people, 61% gave Mr. Abe a zero rating, compared with 58% for Mr. Kim.” A couple months ago, Abe tied with Kim Jong-un – both fielding a 1.0 score. Barack Obama has consistently topped the ranking since September 2013, with Xi Jinping in close second."

source: The Diplomat.

Them Koreans are a bit nutso aren't they? Obama first. :doh:

Internet argument resolved

AN ARGUMENT on the internet has been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties.

The conclusion of the dispute, which began in October 1998 on a message board abandoned by everyone else in 2002, has given hope to the rest of the internet.

Bill McKay said: “We’re pretty sure the argument began over The X-Files, though we actually disagreed even on that for most of 2009.

“Since then it’s ranged across Richard Dawkins, Keynesian economics, dream Justice League line-ups, the standardisation of European shoe sizes and smartphone operating systems, Godwinising a record 43,378 times.

“It’s been a full-time job, so I’m lucky that I have the kind of full-time job where they assume if I’m typing I’m working.”

Bill, also known as Flying Boy, and his interlocutor Electr0m0nk have spent 16 years locked in argument, a full year of which was spent shouting “STRAW MAN!” at each other.

The pair, who estimate they cut-and-pasted sections from every page on Wikipedia in attempts to back up their prejudices with evidence, now count themselves friends.

Bill said: “I dunno, after the thousandth time you accuse someone of an ad hominem you get friendly, you know?

“We finally settled our differences, agreed that we’d both learned a lot from each other, closed the message board and moved on.

“I hope it can teach others that arguing on the internet is completely worthwhile, as long as you never give up. Never.”

Australia: Man gets lost in his own back garden

An Australian man has been rescued by police after getting lost in his own garden, while investigating what he thought was a wild dog, it's been reported.

The man, identified as "self-confessed idiot Jason", by Darwin's NT News, was eventually located 300m (330 yards) from his house. Jason says he had been watching TV and having a few beers when his dog became agitated. He thought he saw a dingo and went outside into his 8ha (20 acre) property to look for it.

But soon he was lost in the scrub, wearing only shorts, with a phone fast running out of battery. "I don't even know how it happened," Jason says. "I turned to come back and all of a sudden I was in long grass. I just thought 'Where the bloody hell am I?'"

He called the emergency operator, but was rebuffed by a dispatcher who said the situation was not an emergency. Police eventually found him uninjured - except for a few scratches and a mass of midge bites.

Jason says he's grateful to police and neighbours for rescuing him. But comments on the NT News site are less forgiving, with one person using the catch-all Australian insult "Drongo".

Disclaimer:

I hope I haven't insulted the aboriginal races of both Japan and Australia with this post and that I'm not a disgrace to my children's indigious ancestry and the children of Mr Adam Goodes.

However, if I have, I need to be is censed and apologise issue and will promptly do so.