• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

Originally Posted By: liptun
This is funny

Rodent muscles in on couple's picture in Canadian park after becoming intrigued by sound of focusing camera

A-squirrel-who-appeared-i-001.jpg

That photo is getting lots of copycats now.

South African 800 metre runner Caster Semenya faces IAAF sex test

Caster Semenya will compete in tonight's World Championships 800 metres women's final despite her gender being questioned by the International Association of Athletics Federations.

The IAAF revealed that they have been investigating 18-year-old South African's gender after her breakthrough performance when winning the African junior championship title at the end of July.

Semenya ran a stunning world leading time for the year of one minute 56.72 seconds, striking almost four seconds from her previous best.

IAAF communications director Nick Davies, revealing they cannot prevent her competing, said: "The situation today is that we don't have any conclusive evidence that she not be allowed to run, so it would be totally wrong to take a decision such as to withdraw an athlete from the field.

"It is a medical issue, it's not an issue of cheating.

"Again it is stressed in a general sense, we have to be sensitive to this, this is a health issue, this is a human individual who was born as a woman, has grown all her life as a woman and is now in a position where this is being questioned.

"There is a need of course to make sure the rules are followed and the rules are very clear that women should compete in women's competitions, so yes of course, we're taking it absolutely seriously.

"But we're also doing that in a rigorous, fair-minded way."

" We have to wait until the process is completed however long it takes.

"I believe it will be a matter of weeks rather than months, but that is speculation."

caster-semenya_1465477c.jpg

Couldn't they just have a feel and get it over with?

She is awfully 'blokey' - but could that not be from the use of performance enhancers and rigourous training? Does it necessarily have to mean an XY set of chromosones?

Interesting to look at THIS situation in the light of the transgender people here recently being granted the right to be recognised as thier selected gender rather than thier birth gender despite not yet having had 'complete' surgeries.... if that is the way of the future, what is to stop a transgendered female (previously male) competing as a woman...

Scary.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Interesting to look at THIS situation in the light of the transgender people here recently being granted the right to be recognised as thier selected gender rather than thier birth gender despite not yet having had 'complete' surgeries.... if that is the way of the future, what is to stop a transgendered female (previously male) competing as a woman...

Nothing. But in this day and age, and with society moving at a break neck pace in LGBT issues, why shouldn't they? If society itself recognizes them as their chosen sex, and considering the hormones they have to take to be their selected gender alters their muscle density, albeit slightly more than usual, so be it.

But I can't really imagine a country, except Nazi Germany (see doja ratjen, going all out to try and better other countries by creating an all-trans gender Olympian team.

But therein lies the kicker Rob.

Transgendered individuals need to take hormones to facilitate the changes, and hormone use is banned in athletes competing for medals - we all know they do it, but it is not allowed.

Personally I dont see why they cant have a competition for 'enhanced' athletes ... if they want to improve thier performance, or if they are transgender etc - go for it and compete. But something like the Olympic games shouldnt be marred by drug taking and sneaky enhancements - it just doesnt sit right with me.

I wonder if in this particular instance, the issue is not one of a transgendered individual, but perhaps someone who has a sex chromosome abnormality, like XXY or XYY syndromes or something similar?

mamabear - I guess the reason they dont allow banned substances is that it would get out of hand and you would have crazed testosterone fuelled manics killing each other mid race, or athletes dying in training. A Transgender world championships sounds ok though, im sure it would become a kind of international gay event like mardi gras.

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
I wonder if in this particular instance, the issue is not one of a transgendered individual, but perhaps someone who has a sex chromosome abnormality, like XXY or XYY syndromes or something similar?

It prob is that, I saw this documentary once about this 14 yr old girl. During one of her checkups doctors found something wrong with her ovaries, they appeared to be calicified, so when doc took a closer look they found that they weren't ovaries after all, but calcified testicles that hadn't formed properly. They then took a DNA test and found out that she was biologically a he, with XY chromosomes but for some weird freak of nature they didn't kick in properly and so the child developed along female lines.

I was having a bit of a research around last night about this - too many things recently...this issue, Lady Gaga's extra bits...it piqued my interest in what was what medically.

What I found was that it is WAY more common than we might believe. Most people having a closer affinity with one gender or the other, but possessing both bits, or incomplete formation of one or the other. Orlike you say Tubby seemingly one gender but actually testing revealling the other.

In most cases nowdays the cases where gender is ambiguous at birth are identified and surgery/hormones are applied to 'correct' the formation, and life goes on.

So of course some of these people are going to end up competing as athletes - the question for me really is more about whether or not a deliberate deception or advantage taking is happening.