• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

A photographer involved in a copyright row with Wikipedia over a monkey "selfie" says he has lost £10,000 in income over two years because of it.

David Slater, from Coleford in the Forest of Dean, said the web-based encyclopaedia had repeatedly refused to remove the image from its site.

He said there had been no interest from anyone in buying the image since it was declared to be in the "public domain".

The site said Mr Slater did not own the copyright as he did not take the photo.

Mr Slater told BBC News he relied on the income from his photographs to make his living.

"I made £2,000 [for that picture] in the first year after it was taken. After it went on Wikipedia all interest in buying it went.

"It's hard to put a figure on it but I reckon I've lost £10,000 or more in income. It's killing my business."

Mr Slater said he spent three days in Indonesia shadowing the monkeys in 2011.

'Give monkey the button'

"I became accepted as part of the troop, they touched me and groomed me... so I thought they could take their own photograph.

"I set the camera up on a tripod, framed [the shot] up and got the exposure right... and all you've got to do is give the monkey the button to press and lo and behold you got the picture."

A series of his images brought smiles to faces worldwide as the photos were published, and paid for, in magazines and news websites.

But they also ended up on the web encyclopaedia to illustrate the critically-endangered Macaca nigra - the crested black macaque.

Mr Slater said he had requested that Wikipedia either paid for the use of the image or remove it but neither happened.

The debate about the picture resurfaced on Wednesday as the Wikipedia Foundation published its first transparency report - following a similar practice by Google, Twitter and others.

Later the page containing the image had been "nominated for deletion" on the grounds it is "copyright David Slater", and "Wikimedia is displaying it unlawfully".

Downing Street’s official Twitter profile is following “I Like Tits Daily”, the “number one account for hotties with nice boob [sic]” among other bizarre accounts.

The Number 10 Twitter account, named “UK Prime Minister”, is managed by the digital communications team in David Cameron’s office.

Among the expected charities, government departments, newspapers and politicians, some unexpected accounts are among the 366,000 profiles followed.

As well as @ILikeTitsDaily, there is a plus size model claiming to be from “OUTTERSPACE” spotted by Chat Politics, there is a wedding poems account, an American bikers’ meet-up group and forklift company.

Evangelist pastors, Britney Spears fans, a “cowboy accessories” shop and wannabe rappers are also on the list.

Many of the accounts followed seem to be dubious automated Twitter bots that spew out spam.

Number 10’s online social media policy stresses following a Twitter account “doesn’t imply any kind of endorsement”.

A map created to guide visitors around a Hertfordshire town has been mocked on Facebook for its phallic shape.

The Canal and River Trust map of Berkhamsted features the town's castle, train station and Grand Union Canal.

But while one of the breweries along the canal praised the map as a "great graphic", its shape was compared with male genitalia on social media.

The Canal and River Trust said it might have been "a bit naive" in not noticing its shape prior to publication.

One Facebook user said: "It looks like a willy tee hee!!"

"You've got to see this," said a Twitter user.

'Bit naive'

The map of Berkhamsted - where the English surrendered to William, Duke of Normandy, in 1066 - is one of scores created for the Canal and River Trust in the past year to promote the nation's waterways.

Simon Salem, of the Canal and River Trust, said the trust had not noticed the shape of the map until it was pointed out.

"This is one of about 100 maps we've been promoting. It does look, as the poster on Facebook says, like a willy. We didn't notice it. Somebody should have seen it, I agree.

"You could accuse of us of being a bit naive but canals are long, straight things, and when you draw a map it tends to be that sort of shape."

He added: "If it gets at least one more person down to the canal then it has worked."

Berkhamsted's mayor Peter Matthews said although the town council had no control over the trust's publications, it welcomed any effort to bolster tourism.

_76932415_sbna_map.jpg