Doctor studied DVD for surgery, left glove inside patient

A doctor in the UK who left a glove inside a patient undergoing a hysterectomy has admitted that she learnt how to perform the operation from a DVD.

An investigation was carried out by the Royal Derby Hospital after patient Sharon Birks, 42, discovered the glove when she used the toilet, three days after her operation.

In the report it emerged that a member of the surgical team, a registrar who has not been named, decided to copy a surgical technique she saw on a DVD which involved using a latex glove to help expand the patient's stomach.

The registrar told the inquiry that she learnt about the technique while attending a training course at the World Laparoscoy Hospital in Deli.

The technique, which instructs the glove be removed before the end of the surgery, is not routinely used or accepted in the UK.

Three days after her surgery, a horrified Mrs Birks found the glove floating in the toilet.

Now, after seeing the report into her bungled operation, Mrs Birks is planning to launch legal action against the hospital.

"Reading the report was horrible because I can't believe the registrar was able to do something like this and no-one knew," she said.

"It's so hard to understand how this could have happened. At first, I was just numb about the whole thing but it made me very angry."

The report also stated that the registrar failed to notify other surgeons that she would be using the controversial technique.

Mrs Birks said it wasn't long before she felt back to normal after the glove was removed. The report said 'no adverse health outcomes' were expected as a result of her experience.

Derby Hospitals Foundation Trust would not name the registrar or say if she still worked for the organisation.

But a spokeswoman for the trust said: "We are extremely sorry for the distress that was caused to Mrs Birks.

"Clearly, this should not have happened and, as soon as managers were made aware, we launched a detailed investigation."

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

Other chapters covered in said DVD:

1) How to shag a coworker in the office to move past a major plot point.

2) Identifying doctors when they all look the same in surgery.

Good grief.

BUT... In other, more fantastic news, I got my lovely lovey SJ stickers in the post today.

Ta muchly!

• Like 1

This missing flight is pretty shocking isn't it.

I just read somewhere that 'Experts believe that because no distress call was made, whatever happened must have happened very quickly'.

Now I'm not usually one to question experts, but....!

I read an article yesterday somewhere that basically said that people travelling on stolen passports is not that uncommon and not a sure sign that it's terro.

:confused:

It's because they don't have a centralized database for stolen passports.

A number of reasons for travelling with those passports; one of which would be freedom of movement within the EU.

I hope they find something soon. The families must be going through hell.

The passport details of more than 20 million people entering and leaving the UK are not being properly checked, official figures show, amid concerns that a lack of security at UK airports could aid terrorists.

So, just a few then!

Having discovered the 'God Particle', science has turned to its next major challenge - determining which household name biscuit is best for dunking.

A comprehensive study led by Dr Stuart Farrimond found that when tested in hot tea at the optimum dunking angle of 90 degrees, Rich Teas were still going strong after 20 seconds.

Hobnobs were the first to crumble meanwhile, lasting just four seconds followed a split second later by the similarly insubstantial Ginger Nut.

Sadly there was no mention of the undisputedly majestic Malted Milk.

Malty favourite of many, the Rich Tea was found to take longer to absorb tea and offered better flexibility, an ideal dunk lasting between seven and 14 seconds.

The study had its flaws though, presuming stamina is everything in a biscuit, failing to take into account general deliciousness, and being of questionable objectivity given it was commissioned by McVitie's.

"The Hobnob biscuit is suitable for short dunks only because it is an oat-based biscuit, rather than wheat based - the larger oat particles in the Hobnob provide less structural strength to the biscuit," Dr Farrimond said in his science publication, Guru Magazine.

"A chocolate coating - or a cream filling - gives a biscuit additional strength.

"The chocolate covering on a chocolate digestive melts in the hot liquid, acting as a sticky gum to glue the surface of the biscuit together.

"A chocolate digestive lasts over six times longer than the naked digestive in prolonged dunking."

In a bid to reduce the number of over-dunks, where the biscuit break and falls to the bottom of the mug as a sludgy mess, Dr Farrimond called for a 'traffic light system' on packets.

"Given the danger of a hot biscuit falling onto a clean shirt, there should be a ‘dunk-o-meter’ traffic light advisory system for all packets of cookies and biscuits," he said.

"A red circle would indicate short dunk of under five seconds, amber would advise a five to ten second dip and green for longer."

Important research.