• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

Thousands of women are set to take to the streets in cities across the UK after the remarks of a Canadian police officer, who advised women "to avoid dressing as sluts" if they did not want to be harassed, sparked a worldwide protest movement.

Thousands of women are expected to descend on Trafalgar Square in central London for a SlutWalk on 4 June, with other events planned for Cardiff and Edinburgh, and possible meetings in other cities including Brighton and Birmingham.

The movement, organised largely through Facebook and Twitter, was sparked by a police officer in Toronto, who paid a visit three months ago to Osgoode Hall Law School to advise students on how to stay safe. He told the 10 students present: "I've been told I'm not supposed to say this – however, women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised."

The comments were posted online and have provoked outrage, leading to events in more than 20 US states, plus Argentina, Australia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden and the UK.

Organisers say they are protesting against a culture which puts the blame for rape and sexual assault on to the victim, makes women less likely to report rape and contributes to low conviction rates for those accused of rape and sexual assault.

Everyone! Out of Rome!

---

Thousands of people are reported to be staying out of Rome for the next few days, over fears the city will be hit by a huge earthquake.

The panic was sparked by rumours that seismologist Raffaele Bendandi, who died in 1979, predicted the city would be devastated by a quake on 11 May.

Officials have insisted quakes cannot be predicted and special programmes have run on state TV calling for calm.

But many people said they were leaving the city to be on the safe side.

There are reports of an 18% increase in the number of city employees planning to stay away from work.

"I'm going to tell the boss I've got a medical appointment and take the day off," barman Fabio Mengarelli told Reuters.

"If I have to die, I want to die with my wife and kids, and masses of people will do the same as me."

Another Roman, Tania Cotorobai, told Reuters she planned to spend Wednesday in the countryside.

"I don't know if I really believe it but if you look at the internet you see everything and the opposite of everything, and it ends up making you nervous."

Other people were more sceptical, or said they would make the most of the capital being slightly quieter.

"It's all just stupid - but anyway if it does happen it would be a good thing, tidy things up a bit," said Augusto Costa.

While Franceso Verselli said that Rome would be spared because it was home to the Pope: "Wherever the Pope is, nothing will happen."

'Urban myth'

The rumours have been circulating on the streets and online for months that the Eternal City is facing imminent destruction.

They were based on work by Bendandi, who was knighted by Mussolini in 1927 for his prophetic meteorological skill.

He was said to have used his theory that the movement of the planets caused seismic activity to accurately predict a 1923 quake that killed 1,000 people.

Before he died, he pinpointed 11 May 2011 as the day Rome would be totally destroyed - to be followed by two more catastrophic events in May 2012.

Italian concerns have been heightened after the deadly quake in Aquila in 2009, and reports that scientists Giampaolo Giuliani had been trying to warn officials in the days before.

But the president of the Osservatorio Geofisico Comunale, the foundation that honours Bendandi, said they had no record of the much-discussed prediction and have dismissed it as an urban myth.

"I can say with absolute certainly that in the papers of Raffaele Bendandi there is no provision for an earthquake in Rome on the 11 May 2011," Paola Lagorio told Abruzzo in March.

"The date is not there, nor is the place."

Tommaso Profeta, head of Rome's civil protection services, told La Repubblica he had received a lot of calls from concerned Rome residents but that there was no danger.

"That said, our plan is to be prepared for natural disaster."

Quote:
It's not necessarily a photo Chris Whitehead’s parents will be framing and keeping on the mantelpiece.

But they are certainly proud of him. The 12-year-old wore a skirt to school yesterday to protest against ‘discriminatory’ rules which ban boys from wearing shorts.

He says it is unfair that girls can change into skirts during the hot weather, while boys have to swelter in long trousers.
Skirting the issue: 12-year-old Chris Whitehead wore the skirt to school in protest at not being allowed to wear shorts in the summer months

Taking a stand: Chris Whitehead, 12, who sits on the school's council with supporters at Impington Village College, near Cambridge

This, he says, affects their concentration and ability to learn.

The schoolboy is taking advantage of a ‘silly loophole’ in the uniform policy at Impington Village College, near Cambridge, that means boys can wear skirts as the school would be guilty of discrimination if it tried to stop them.

‘In the summer months, girl students are allowed to wear skirts but boys are not allowed to wear shorts,’ Chris explained yesterday before his protest.
Making a stand: Chris, who is in year 8, has said he is outraged by the shorts ban and hopes to have it overturned
Making a stand: Chris, who is in year 8, has said he is outraged by the shorts ban and hopes to have it overturned

Skirting around the issue: Chris, who is in Year 8, said he wearing long trousers in summer affects boys' ability to concentrate

‘It discriminates against boys. I will march in a skirt with other boys waving banners and making a lot of noise.
AND THE RULES ON UNIFORM ARE ...

Students at Impington Village College must obey the 'Look Smart' uniform policy at all times.

The policy states students must wear 'plain black tailored trousers or knee-length skirts without slits' but does not specify a gender.

This means shorts are banned by their omission.

The uniform policy also states skirts should be 'free moving not tight against the legs, and trousers should be neither tight nor baggy'.

Jeans, corduroys, cargos with pockets, drainpipes, leggings or capri pants are all banned.

Pupils can wear one pair of discreet stud earrings, no bangles or rings, necklaces must not visible and no more than one watch should be worn.

Discreet make-up is permitted but teachers have the power to instruct students to remove excessive make-up and nail polish.

Teachers also have the power to make students tie back hair for health and safety reasons.

Coats, scarves, gloves and hats can be worn to and from College but not in lessons or the library. Denim, sweatshirts or "hoodies" are not permitted.

Plain black sensible footwear must be worn with no logos, coloured flares, coloured stitching and no high heels or boots, or sandals.

Tights must be plain, opaque, black or flesh-coloured and socks worn with skirts must be plain in colour and ankle length.
Belts must be plain, narrow, black, and fitted through belt loops of trousers.

Pupils are also ordered to wear sky blue polo shirts or sweatshirts bearing the school's logo.

‘I will be wearing the skirt at school all day in protest at the uniform policy and addressing the assembly with the school council.’

The year 8 pupil, who lives in nearby Histon, added: ‘Wearing a skirt is just like wearing shorts with a gap in the middle. I don’t feel silly at all. I don’t embarrass easily.’

The 1,368-pupil school, which was classed as good in its last Ofsted inspection in 2006, imposed the ban two years ago after a consultation with parents and teachers. Its ‘Look Smart’ dress code states students must wear ‘plain black tailored trousers or knee-length skirts without slits’ – but does not specify gender.

This means that while shorts are prohibited because they are not mentioned, girls – and boys – are free to wear skirts as long as they are ‘free moving, not tight against the legs’.

Chris borrowed a skirt from his sister Joanna, 11, and was accompanied by 30 supporters waving placards saying, ‘Cool shorts, not hot pants’, ‘Shorts for the long-term’ and ‘What’s wrong with my legs?’

And he said he intends to continue wearing the outfit.

His mother, Liz, 50, a maths teacher, said: ‘I’m delighted that Chris is taking action on what he believes in – which the school actually encourages, so he is only doing what he is taught.’

And his father, Brian, 48, who owns a publishing company, added: ‘It’s a creative and imaginative idea. I was worried about him getting picked on but he just shrugged his shoulders.’ Headmaster Robert Campbell said: ‘Our uniform policy does not state girls’ and boys’ uniforms because we can’t be discriminatory, so Chris is perfectly within his rights to wear a skirt.

‘What he has done is raise the issue in an entirely legitimate way. I think it will be right to start thinking about uniform again in September.’

An Equality and Human Rights Commission spokesman said: ‘It’s not possible to say if different uniform policies for boys and girls is or is not lawful, as it’s not been tested in the courts.’ But schools ‘should be flexible when considering students’ needs’, he added.

hoots mon!!

What's this then? I'm not sure what the issue is here. Why are people uncomfortable?

-----

A row over how to respond to ever-shortening school skirts is brewing in South Korea.

A local education board in Gangwon Province has announced plans to place boards in front of all school desks, to make students more "comfortable".

The local assembly in Gangwon is beginning a session on Wednesday during which they will decide whether to approve funding for the refurbishment.

The move will cost around $700,000 (£427,000).

As hemlines in Korean classrooms rise, so it seems does the cost of accommodating them.

Gangwon's Board of Education says it plans to fit boards to the front of 50,000 desks this summer to "help students sit more comfortably in class".

It is being prompted, at least in part, by the ever-shorter skirts being worn by female students.

In one survey, quoted in a local paper, school hemlines have reportedly risen 10-15cm (4-6in) in the last decade.

And that is apparently making everyone uncomfortable.

An official from the Education Board told local media that the blocking boards also had the support of teachers - who wanted to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings.

They do not however have the support of the Teachers' Federation here, which has put out a statement condemning the refurbishment as a waste of money.

The matter would be much more easily and cheaply resolved, it says, by enforcing the rules on school uniform.

Originally Posted By: Curt
Everyone! Out of Rome!

---

Thousands of people are reported to be staying out of Rome for the next few days, over fears the city will be hit by a huge earthquake.

The panic was sparked by rumours that seismologist Raffaele Bendandi, who died in 1979, predicted the city would be devastated by a quake on 11 May.
So ... How's Rome these days??? Still there? Oh goody!!!!

Care factor???

Approximating zero - just so long as Portugal is still OK (my 2 daughters are there-abouts).

article-1387083-0C0F8A1300000578-801_634

As if chatting away on a mobile while sending a text on another phone were not hard enough, this care-free Italian takes multitasking to a new level... by driving a bus at the same time.

If it were a competition, his actions - using his elbows to turn the steering wheel - may have entitled him to an award.

Instead the Roman, who was filmed taking passengers to the city's Ciampino Airport, was suspended for endangering tourists' lives.

my brother regularly drives using his elbows to steer while blowing his nose, he also likes to take his coat off while driving and put it in the back seat and also at the same time put his seat belt, because he's too tough to put it on before driving from a parked position......well dodgy

mmm...I did drive 15km last friday with a sleeping puppy on my lap...

not proud of it - but it ended up being the easiest option.

I was taking her from home (had her there for less than 12 hours) to the park where I was meeting PB to pick her up and take her to the vet for surgery - she has a broken leg and was in a full leg cast, she is only 8 weeks old and she kept jumping from the passengers seat where I set her up a puppy bed onto my lap.

Next time I will put a cage in the car and lock her in.

Driving is far too serious a business to be distracted.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
mmm...I did drive 15km last friday with a sleeping puppy on my lap...
not proud of it - but it ended up being the easiest option.

I was taking her from home (had her there for less than 12 hours) to the park where I was meeting PB to pick her up and take her to the vet for surgery - she has a broken leg and was in a full leg cast, she is only 8 weeks old and she kept jumping from the passengers seat where I set her up a puppy bed onto my lap.

Next time I will put a cage in the car and lock her in.
Driving is far too serious a business to be distracted.

Mamabear good luck with the broken leg. Puppies with Broken legs are a 24/7 problem!!!! If it starts getting to boisterious have a chat with your vet about a mild sedation until that leg is 100% set.

oh...she had surgery last friday snowhuntress. She has been in a cast for 6 weeks with poor results. Now she has had quite radical surgery by a top vet surgeon, and I believe she had pins internally and externally. Will find out all tomorrow when she comes home. But sedation sounds like a great idea!!