This is a very hard issue to really cover. Religious persecution and legality often create a very dangerous thin line.

The problem is that I so strongly believe in the rights of individuals. I realize my economic point of view is generally geared towards social betterment, but nonetheless in the personal life (actions of expressing oneself) freedom of religion, speech, press, etc. These are in my eyes and most civilized places are unalienable rights.

Yet situations do occur like MB and Jynxx so finely pointed out, where the overall threat to society is jeopardized. Unfortunately we will never be able to suppress our subconscious. When we see a masked entity walking into a bank our muscles will tighten. Yet how many times has this turned out to be the case that the veiled Muslim woman robs the bank? There's a really interesting book called the Science of Fear by a Canadian journalist. He describes subconscious rationale better than I could, but the point stands nonetheless. This tends to get into our heads. It's sad really because it is a perpetual unavoidable force at times unless everyone in the world forgets about past terrorist attacks. Until then people will always be nervous when sitting next to someone of Middle Eastern descent on the plane.

The story behind the Burka is often sad. Especially when the Taliban took religious interpretation to such an extent that women were not allowed to go to school or show skin in public. It is these disciples of religious indoctrination that create subconscious images for the rest of us to dwell on (and the American media to thrive on).

However, I think there are ways around it then depicting it in such a brute action as illegality. France is already tiptoeing on a bed of rocks with its Muslim population. Definitely a hard choice, but I think favoring social opposition (not in the form of bigotry) rather in the form of education and acceptance of culture would outturn the figurative spike deep between the West and East. There will always be those Muslims that scream religious persecution at the most inane of things and surround themselves in such a false sense of reality like believing in infidelity and infidels being distrustful. These people unfortunately will always be there and further indoctrinate women of their ludicrous revelations and faulty interpretations of the Koran. As a global society who wants to reduce the harm brought by these ungracious people, I think the US has provided a good example of not to fight fire with fire. It only gets both sides burnt. Rather we are not the ones who have to reduce ourselves to primitive methods of getting things done (violence). We are the ones who can think around these things logically, and with a course of acceptance rather than bigotry.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

Mitch, it is instructive to read the beliefs of a Muslim woman on this matter.

Try reading "One Thousand Suns" by , written from a woman's perspective in the emerging Afghanistan.

When her husband beat her (as he was entitled to do with or without provocation) she fould it comforting to be able to walk around with the burka on, the anonymity gave her a sense of security.

I agree, if a person walked into a bank in a burka in my home town, there would be cops there before they reached the counter. However, you have to be sensitive to the social customs (even if they be "weird" to us) of another country. Now, that said, I do not believe that the burka should be able to be mandated by a husband in Australia, if only because we have different customs here. If that causes a man to have a problem, he is welcome to return to somewhere that his custom is accepted.

Mitch, I believe in the freedom of individuals. And the limit to the freedom we have cannot jeopardize that of others. It is not right to persecute people for their beliefs. But Religion - this is the sticky thing. In essence religion aims to rule the land and its people in the name of God. Benevolent dictatorship by those who claim the authority to interpret the "word of God" which itself comes from self-people -proclaimed messengers. We have the freedom to have this relationship with the higher consciousness without organized religion interfering.

Nation itself stands on this. Look at Japan where the Korean-Chinese migration in the 4 AD has established the emperor and with it claimed that the God-of-heaven came and warred with the 800 or so Gods-of-earth and rightly claimed to govern. Israel, the chosen tribe of God. America on freemason ideals... etc, etc. Why? because even thieves have friends but one needs so called selfless ideals to move people. But would people buy it? No, not all. So pitch in something they like, ie) possession of women and children as their property. Give them power and ownership over lesser others, so they will give you power over them.

I think that religion should be persecuted. Not the people. This is the fundamental point, that the ministry of religion is corrupt, manipulative, because we are human that are not evolved and addicted to power and immortality.

Couldn't agree more Jynxx. Religion is a tough act to follow. There's nothing to replace it and encroaching on it upsets people greatly. Like I said, very fine line that is about as thin as dental floss. I understand, and like I said where it encroaches on the disablement of other people to pursue their own rights it gets a bit unclear. As I said, this issue is very unclear, but to arrest people for such minute things is going to lead to a backlash.

JA, I know what you mean. I have talked to a few women from Afghanistan (one of whom's father was killed by Mujahideen) and as I mentioned, Afghanistan was a very sad place when the Taliban took over. People quickly realized the Russians had not imposed such strict sanctions on them. That is perhaps one of the only things that US intelligence had right. The Taliban were college extremists whose youth swept them into a disgusting take on politics. I couldn't agree more about the mandating. This type of culture leakover should not be accepted. No husband should take such a primitive action as to make his wife follow such an inhumane procedure.

Depends a little on WHAT they wear to bed - me - NO WAY!! bare beneath sheets, me - not going shopping like that even if it IS 40deg plus!

Well I wear sleep pants (like lightweight cotton track pants) and a tank top - but I am STILL not heading out of my house dressed like that!

I cringe if my children decide it is acceptable to go into a store or anywhere really in bare feet. But try telling a teen-adult to "Put those shoes on your feet!' ... never ends well. I still try - still never ends well.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Well I wear sleep pants (like lightweight cotton track pants) and a tank top - but I am STILL not heading out of my house dressed like that!

Mama without the tank top ...
874.jpg
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

sorry MB, we don't believe you - prove it with pics!! LOL

Spike the terrier fell ill — because he had swallowed a RUBBER DUCK.

Owners Colin Smith and Lorraine Fenton rushed him to the vet when he started being sick but a string of tests failed to diagnose what was wrong with him.

The vet then did an x-ray — and the couple were stunned to see the clear outline of a the rubber duck which had gone missing from their bathroom a few days before.

Print engineer Colin, 52, said: "He will eat absolutely anything. I think he probably eyed up the duck and thought, 'I'm going to have this before anyone can stop me' and just ate it whole.

Plastic surgeons are reporting a record number of "man boob" reduction operations as the rise in demand outstrips that for all other procedures, including women's breast enlargement.

Figures published by the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons showed operations to correct gynecomastia in men grew by 80%, while overall male cosmetic surgery grew by 21%.