Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
Originally Posted By: thursday.
The nightas at Niseko are the best that you will experience anywhere. Don't take my word for it. See it for yourself, but in moderation OK?

caveate: it's not really worth going to Japan to experience it.

Thursday seems to be getting a bit of stick because had the temerity to make this claim without having racked up time at other resorts around Japan. Is anyone seriously suggesting that there is a better nighta experience in Japan?

Yes, of course. Hakuba is better in every respect. You don't need to leave Hakuba to know this. Simply being in Hakuba gives extra-special powers.

not everyone in Hakuba....
has mentioned before Happos nighta is pretty damn ordinary, Goryu has a long run but not too challenging.
Naeba used to have a very good nighta but havent been for years.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not taking a shot at Niseko Im taking a shot at someone who always floats out crap.

Best in the world nighta

you can make 1000 dollars a night for 200 days if you invest in an apartment

There are no places that have good accommodation.

The list goes on.

Its a revolving door of endless quotes and yet he has nothing to compare it to. If i was taking a shot I wouldve said alot more.

Thurs may exagerate a little on occasion but those of us who live here and know the area are just as capable to curb some of the excesses that get posted here from time to time.

"Huge flakes falling silently on the already fallen foot of powder since you went for dinner. Nobody on the slopes, just you and the golden lit snow. And you wonder if you have died, 'cos you know you're in heaven "

This may be bullshit to some people. But this is how I remember it and that is one of the things that draw me back year after year.

Last season's snow was a miss for me, but that won't stop me going back.

Don't worry Thurs I've had a few nights like that myself. You feel like you've got the whole mountain to yourself and words just can't do justice to the quality of the snow. It's true though that it can be damned cold (face mask very recommended!).

Originally Posted By: thursday.
"Huge flakes falling silently on the already fallen foot of powder since you went for dinner. Nobody on the slopes, just you and the golden lit snow. And you wonder if you have died, 'cos you know you're in heaven "

This may be bullshit to some people. But this is how I remember it and that is one of the things that draw me back year after year.

Last season's snow was a miss for me, but that won't stop me going back.

That sounds all so romantic!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Don't worry Thurs I've had a few nights like that myself. You feel like you've got the whole mountain to yourself and words just can't do justice to the quality of the snow. It's true though that it can be damned cold (face mask very recommended!).

As one who has also sat on that cold cold nighta's lift (Thank God for BUFFS!) I remember it similarly. You can ride the lift just yourself, or with a pal - no need to capacity pack coz there is no queue... at the top you can sit and take a moment to draw in the serentity and peacefulness - the sheer beauty of Japanese Winter...and then off you go on a fairly well deserted slope. Nighta's do tend to give you decent visibility, and for me - as someone trying out new skills - it was a perfect time to try things I might choose not to on a more crowded daytime slope.

The only night skiing I have to compare to (at this stage) is Aus - and Niseko wins hands down. Hopefully it wont be too long before I have some other night experiences elsewhere to add to the mix.

No one said that it didnt happen before but you write it like it happens 100% of the time. The you say it is the best in the world yet how many night sking resorts have you been to? Try the east of Canada and see some of the crazy stuff they open at night.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
No one said that it didnt happen before but you write it like it happens 100% of the time.

Like to know how you come to that conclusion. Didn't come across to me like that at all. People have just recalled some of the perfect moments they've experienced. The fact that Niseko has a lot of perfect moments for many people is just another reason why it's so damned popular biggrin

Already asked this question in another post but will ask again.

Will Niseko still be having night skiing next year??

I just had some japanese visitors in and when I mentioned I was going to Japan next year they were so happy they said they really need the tourism as the economy is not great there at the moment and they are really relying on the tourism market.

Another question (sorry) has the ski resorts developed summer attractions like Canada and New Zealand with the Mountain Bikers and Hikers??

• 4 months later...
Originally Posted By: thursday
C'mon, that means you've never been to a Niseko nighta.

Huge flakes falling silently on the already fallen foot of powder since you went for dinner. Nobody on the slopes, just you and the golden lit snow. And you wonder if you have died, 'cos you know you're in heaven.

this is the one Thursday!