Hmmm... sounds pretty lame. What a pisser. Thanks for the info and map, JA. It's so annoying because Furano ticks all my other boxes - walk to lifts, cheap accom and food, more clear days, awesome scenery, cheap passes. But no trees. NO TREES!!!

And a 1+ hour bus trip to Kamui.

Okay, so does anyone know if Asahidake, Kurodake or Kitataisetsu have a town with cheap accom and supermarkets nearby? The YHA near Kurodake closes for the season. Shirataki is near Kitataisetsu but I can't find much info on it. Anyone?

I guess I'd need a bus to get to the mountain too. No car.

This is why I keep gravitating back to Furano and its dozy three minute walk to lifts. But I don't want dozy boarding...

Yeah, you'll have to go elsewhere for trees, unfortunately.

Asahidake doesn't have much other than the ropeway bottom lift station and a few hotels and pensions directly at the base. I believe some of the pensions are fairly cheap... I don't remember what I paid the last time I was there.

Originally Posted By: Greenroome
Hmmm... sounds pretty lame. What a pisser. Thanks for the info and map, JA. It's so annoying because Furano ticks all my other boxes - walk to lifts, cheap accom and food, more clear days, awesome scenery, cheap passes. But no trees. NO TREES!!!

There's a reason why the Niseko Area is so popular. It provides MOST things to the MOST amount of people.

Choosing a different ski area as opposed to a ski resort in Japan or anywhere else will result in compromises and benefits.

For example, no bus service but less people on the mountain.

The criteria you're looking for in Furano can be found in the Niseko area at the same price IMHO.

The other ski areas that I and others have recommended all have their pros and cons in comparison with Niseko and Furano.

And pretty much it's down to (lack of) transport and variety.

Thanks guys. Sounds like a month in the north, a month in the south, and a month somewhere else might be best. I really wanted to settle right in to somewhere for the whole season, but that's cool. I'm lucky to have a season off work so I'm not gonna whinge.

Any recommends for a month's stay in Niseko? Any cheap long-term rates or places with that special something?

Thurs, cyan is pretty close to the "places to stay" button.

Magenta is pretty close to this.

Yellow is - well - yellow!

They are the subtractive primary colours, used to create all others (along with black, of course) in printing. The additive primaries are Red, Blue & Green - used to create the other colours in crt displays.

Originally Posted By: big-will
You might want to check the places on here and contact them.
That big cyan button up top click and go from there.

feeling a bit fruity eh BW?!! lol

Comes of having been an Info Tech teacher for 14 years! You get to know all sorts of useless information, because a student has asked, and you need to find some cred!

Cyan is a good one.

But on topic, to me a season in any one ski resort sounds like a bad idea. I'd much prefer to take in a selection and get to know quite a few over a season if I had that long.

Charlotte,

In your situation, with the wonders of the Japanese resorts in all their glory within a couple of hours travel, I can understand your point.

For some of us, however, the trip to the snow is an annual event. For me, it takes at least 10 hours driving to get to the nearest ski field. In that case, we tend to go to one place, stay there and ski there for the week we can afford the accommodation and lift tickets for, and then go home again for the remainder of the year.

Now, having discovered Japow, we fly for 10 hours, after driving 8 hours to get to the airport, ans stay in the one resort for the 14 days or so we can afford. We take the opportunity to do a bit of sightseeing and so are away from home for 3 weeks.

Being from Perth, I know what you're talking about, JA. Travelling to snow is a big deal and that's why, for the third time in my life, I'm here in another country getting ready for a season. Short trips leave me stoked but longing for more. Snow is far more important than career for me. And seeing first snowfall right through to Spring slush is a beautiful thing. I think that's what Charlotte is talking about - a whole season.

My main aim is not to blow my money before the season ends, so that means backpackers, supermarkets, buses, shoe-shines, in-store appearances, organ sales, book-signings, card games and other degrading alleyway tricks. The only places I've come across that have cheap food, accom and transport are Furano, Niseko, and Asahikawa (which sounds like a big industrial town). So I think I'll go for a month in Furano, and a couple of months in Niseko. Like Mike Pow said, there's a reason Niseko's so popular.

I'm thinking of staying at the backpackers in Annupuri. Might be a bit more laidback than Hirafu.