Hi All,

First of all I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone here for all the helpful info. I've been lurking in the shadows, reading and learning, and the info and vibe in these forums has been top shelf. You've got a great community here, without the usual whingers, flamers and pessimists.

Now, enough about you - let's talk about me. I'm living in Sapporo, raiding the Co-op every night when the half-price sushi stickers go on, sitting on the edge of my seat trying to guess the calories in that wacky food game show on TV, and swimming at Ishikari and Zenibako on the weekends, because I'm tough as nails. I'm having a ball, and while my wife works like a slave as an ALT, I tend the houseplants and preen my shitsu in my velour dressing gown by the window.

I could live like this forever, however I must stay true to my mission - to point it straight and shred the gnar in the Hokkaido powder that I've heard so much about. So in late December, I shall return the 8000 styrofoam trays to the Co-op, pack the trunks, and board the Furano Flyer.

Why Furano? Well, firstly, I far prefer small resorts to big ones and whilst Furano sounds like it's growing swiftly, it also sounds like it's retained some character. I've had fantastic seasons on small hills in Switzerland (Villars/Barboleuese - anyone know it?) and Canada (midweek Cypress), and I will easily forsake area and facilities for a laidback hill. Whilst I have heard convincing arguments made very eloquently for Niseko, and whilst I'm sure the Aussies aren't as out of control as the popular myth suggests, I've only been away from Perth for five weeks, and I'm loving it. Put simply, I could live in Wanaka, but I couldn't get out of Queenstown quick enough.

Secondly, there's plenty of cheap accommodation (3000 per night) within a few minutes' walk of the gondola in Furano. And being a decent-sized town, I should be able to keep hoovering down half-price sushi from supermarkets.

Thirdly, there are other ski hills nearby that allow you to go under the ropes, like Kamui Ski Links. By the way, thanks to the poster who pointed out that Furano is in a national park, and that the company's lease only extends to the edge of the pistes. Makes sense.

So my questions are:

1. Whilst I respect Furano's respect of national parks, I also love trees and a couple of posters have suggested that they have relaxed their out-of-bounds policy in recent seasons. Does anyone know this for sure? I realize I'm being a hypocrite, but I promise I'll be careful.

2. If I'm in Furano for three months and up early each day for first lift, will I get enough powder on the runs that they leave ungroomed anyway, without pining for the pines?

3. The backpacker rates look great, but does anyone know if it would be worth trying to hook up a three month short stay lease in an apartment in Kitanomine or town? All of the fully-furnished stuff I've seen looks too pricey.

4. Even though I fully expect to make plenty of trips to other hills throughout the region, is three months too long in Furano? Can anyone suggest another town that has cheap accom/food close to the lifts?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Im sorry I cant give any advice - I have no interest in Furano just because of their patrol. Though, if they chilled out a bit, then I would like to go. If I was going to do another season in Hokkaido, I would probably go to Asahidake, much more terrain, and patrol dont care where you ride (just like Niseko, Rusutsu, Teine). I would like to hear more about the area, so if you do go, please post info as it is lacking here on the forums. Hope you have a great season.

Thanks Creek Boy,

Asahidake is definitely one of the day trips I'm planning on making regularly. It's a bit further than Kamui, but looks well worth it judging by the reviews on this site.

Will file full reports.

If I could loaf for the winter on Hokkaido, then it would be the K's for me - Kamui Ski Links, Kokusai (Sapporo), Kiroro, Kurodake and Kitataisetsu.

Early season up around Kurodake and then when it and Kitataisetsu close until spring head down to Yoichi area. Could also easily do a few day trips to the Niseko area.

Thanks Mike. The closest accommodation to Kamui is Asahikawa, yeah? I wish Kamui had a village next to it. Asahikawa's a bit big for me.

Would the trip between Furano and Kamui become annoying? It's a bit over an hour, I think.

greeto greenbroome^ can`t help to much with the question but sounds like you are on to a gd thing up there-

interested as to why you say Wanaka is better living than QT though fromn a kiwi perspective

have fun up there

Thanks for the link, Mike. Looks nice and remote.

Boardbaka - Wanaka was laid-back, relaxed, and stunning. QT scenery was stunning too, but the traffic was nuts, the hotels were over-priced, and the centre of town was full of multi-national chains. I went crazy at Wanaka's organic store, but I glazed over when I saw designer beanies in QT's granite & glass Cabbage Patch store,

I was impressed, however, that pilots need a special accreditation to land planes in QT. Come to think of it, watching air traffic was a highlight.

Welcome Greenroome! Good to hear from other Sapporo peeps on here! Have you wintered in Sapporo yet? If not, you might just consider staying put and exhausting the local powder opportunities at Kokusai, Teine, Asari, Onze, and Kiroro before than relocating.

Furano is really far from most other resorts. Sahoro and Tomamu are much closer than Kamui. Kamui = Asahikawa for the most part. There are few rapid trains out that way, and because of terrain and weather constraints, bus service is generally not particularly fast, so commuting between Furano and Kamui on a day-trip basis would be impractical to say the least.

I dunno, Ez.

We did the trip from Furano to Kamui for a day. Took a couple hours by bus to get there (early departure and lateish return) but the trip was ablolutely worth it! Organised through the tourist people at Furano, and we had a ball.

Very relaxed approach to roped off areas at Kamui - as compared with Furano and Niseko (the only reference points I have as yet!)

Ez - Thanks for the welcome. I've definitely considered staying in Sapporo for winter but as much as I love this city, the allure of boarding through fresh snowfields for 30 bucks a day with stuff like hot volcanic gas holes and fresh tracks all day is just too strong. I'll definitely do a few days here before I go, but I'm not a city guy. And without a car, I reckon I'd be flailing like a drunk monkey trying to get my board and my wife's ski gear on and off two Chuo buses and a subway.

JA - the more I hear about Kamui, the more excited I get.

Anyone got any late mail on Furano's out-of-bounds policy being relaxed? And are the pistes they leave ungroomed on powder days anything to get excited about? If I can get a reasonable amount of fresh at Furano on average days, and go to Kamui/Asahidake after it dumps, I might be in business...?

I stayed in Furano this year and loved it. I wouldn't probably recommend it for a whole season, as the areas had a limited amount of runs (although some are really fun) and a lot of the tree areas are easily seen from lifts/gondolas.

The town itself is nice, and we really enjoyed it, but I couldn't see myself staying there the whole time, possibly 2 weeks.

They do have their own winery, brewery and cheese factory though smile

Originally Posted By: JA
I dunno, Ez.
We did the trip from Furano to Kamui for a day. Took a couple hours by bus to get there (early departure and lateish return) but the trip was ablolutely worth it! Organised through the tourist people at Furano, and we had a ball.

Very relaxed approach to roped off areas at Kamui - as compared with Furano and Niseko (the only reference points I have as yet!)

I guess it's my perception of "worth it" - I'm usually on the first bus out so I get to the resort before opening time and stay until the nighter begins, otherwise I feel like I'm missing out on part of my day pass. I've argued against doing a day-trip to Niseko from Sapporo by the same reasoning. If I'm going all that way for less than 5-hours on resort, I'd rather stay overnight and get more snow time in to make the hours spent in the bus more worthwhile.

It does sound nice that the whole package is fully organized - that definitely makes life a whole bunch easier!
Originally Posted By: Greenroome
Ez - Thanks for the welcome. I've definitely considered staying in Sapporo for winter but as much as I love this city, the allure of boarding through fresh snowfields for 30 bucks a day with stuff like hot volcanic gas holes and fresh tracks all day is just too strong. I'll definitely do a few days here before I go, but I'm not a city guy. And without a car, I reckon I'd be flailing like a drunk monkey trying to get my board and my wife's ski gear on and off two Chuo buses and a subway.

There are definitely a lot of really interesting places to check out up in the center! I'm carless in Sapporo, so all my trips are by bus or train. Once you get used to it, dealing with a boardbag on the train or bus gets easier, even with a 2 or 3 day loadout.
Originally Posted By: Greenroome
And are the pistes they leave ungroomed on powder days anything to get excited about?

Ungroomed inbounds at Furano is very, very limited! They seem to groom to within inches of the ropes. A couple of spots get left, but they are tracked out very quickly.

I'm talking about around the top of the Furano zone - off to the right at the top of the "Downhill No3" lift. A bump on skier's right is ungroomed but badly tracked even after a decent dump overnight. There's also a natural bump course from the same lift to the left off the top, staying left of that course. To the right is groomed.

At least, that was the case last January.

I have a link to an english piste map if you're at all interested. (checked with SJ that the link is OK, so here it is ...)