• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Let's see. Scenario 1. Dial number, speak on phone. Scenario 2. Phone rings, answer and speak on phone. Am I missing something here?

Soubs, mate!! Get with the program! There's sooo much you can do. You can send a sexy vid to your GF's parents, you can text some kid in the playground to the extent that they get really paranoid about you, you can ... you get the picture?

... send emails, send text messages, get stock quotes, listen to music, watch video (or download the final episode of your favourite TV show), buy and sell shares, contribute to these fora ...

And, I'm a BOF!! Imagine what the kids will think of!
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Let's see. Scenario 1. Dial number, speak on phone. Scenario 2. Phone rings, answer and speak on phone. Am I missing something here?

... send emails, send text messages, get stock quotes, listen to music, watch video (or download the final episode of your favourite TV show), buy and sell shares, contribute to these fora ...

... send emails, I use the computer
send text messages, Never
get stock quotes, No money
listen to music, That's why I have a stereo
watch video Have a DVD player for that
(or download the final episode of your favourite TV show), Only watch the news and films
buy and sell shares, No money
contribute to these fora ... Have to give everyone else a break

OK, tongue was firmly in cheek. As it happens, I agree with all you have said. Fact is, though, that these are the things the kids are expecting to be able to do with their phones.

I like to use my phone:

1) to make and receive calls

2) to send and receive SMSs

3) as a music player for my commute when I don't drive

4) to get on the net to lay a bet on when I've forgotten to

5) to get on the net to get info for a restaurant number and location for instance

6) as GPS

7) as a calculator and calendar and business card storer

8) as a still camera with 3 mega pix

9) as a video camera to get those candid vids

10) as a voice recorder for voice memos and messages to send

11) to check my bank balance when I'm about to make a stupid stock order

12) to make a stupid stock order

13) to play stupid vid games

14) to make toast

Not sure how the 2nd-gen iPhone will be (and this is probably dependent on locale and carrier), but the original iPhone could not send traditional picture messages by SMS protocols. In order to force you to buy into a carrier "data plan", it could only send pictures via the internet email portal.

At least the new iPhone is 3G. The original was legacy/obsolete technology when it was released.

looking at the GPS sat pics, they are about 1 year old. But that's Google trying to make people pay for this novel toy.

But I like the idea 'cos it will help you steer clear of the wrong ghettos and losing your life there instead of losing your life in the right ghetto.

Not sure what all the rage is about this new phone, that some where silly enough to queue outside for four days.

I still got my nearly two year old AU phone with the following functions all of which I use :

One seg TV = Free

PC site viewer, yes I use the sukaihoudai service of course, not ready to go bankrupt just yet! = Fixed monthly fee even if I use it 24hrs a day.

Of course e-mail and c-mail as all phones have anyway again free!

Keitai saifu, very handy where stores accept it.

Fm radio

GPS Free!

MP3 type music player, can easily download any music from my computer for free, that I already have, so no need to pay anymore. = Free to use and install music

2mb camera, crap compared to the latest 5m cams in some phones but never the less it is still quite clear.

Video player

Microsoft word, excel, publisher, power point viewer, so can view my microsoft files on my phone like on a pc

Yahoo messenger = free of course

And of course bar code reader software as all phones have got plus the usual bunch of other things like a dictionary, alarms, schedulers and all those other bits that is loaded onto all phones nowadays.

So unless my phone breaks or I f;:+ it up I can't really see me rushing to get that I-phone thing.

Interesting, i really didn't think this would be big in japan, especially since the JP phones were already awesome, watch TV etc.

The Iphone 3g just released here, it's great, but also stupid at the same time.

Expensive call rates, only a 2mp camera, you can't send picture messages, etc etc etc.

yet another example of Aussies getting shafted. thumbsdown