As much as 30% MikePow? Wow, I knew prices were on their way up but that's a fair chunk. Interesting you say end January - I would have thought that peak would be until at least mid Feb.

Yep. 30% that's what I've heard and seen. Supply and demand. And greed. And poor marketing and incentives to get people here outside of the busy window.

Chinese New Year fell in February in 2008.

It falls in January in 2009.

"And poor marketing and incentives to get people here outside of the busy window."

Intesteting.

Wasn't complacency one of the reasons lots of Japanese resorts got stuck once the 'ski boom' was over here from the early 90s.

Some places will not be raising their prices by up to 30%, but a lot are.

This is for peak period.

Instead of saying to people, 'how about coming outside of the busy time so we can have people coming to the village for the length of the season', the attitude seems to be to charge the earth in peak period.

The ones who can pay it will. The ones who can't will either go elsewhere or visit before or after peak period.

It's a risky ploy.

What would have been nice to see is an event organised for pre-Christmas and one event for February, March & April (4 in total).

Then tell your prospective visitors that when they come the night bus will be running, so will all the lifts. The restaurants won't be closed either.

But that would mean the mountain operators talking with the local establishments and the tour operators that are bringing the people to the Niseko Resort Area.

It would mean everyone seeing the bigger, longer term picture rather than taking the money and running.

Pity.

Part of it might be that the prime Aussie tourist is going to be mainly on the move during that peak period - Christmas, New Year, School holidays, etc. By the time Feb comes around most of Aust are back at work. Also, whilst Feb is still prime powder time, by the time March swings by the constant falls are drying up and whilst there is great snow to be had, you're far more likley to get sunny periods and warmer weather. As a resort, if you're selling the "powder central" idea that Niseko seems to push, it falls apart a bit in March. So where does that leave the average punter? early to mid Dec is too patchy to risk spending a couple of grand on and by March spring is definitely in the air. If you're going to spend a couple of grand for a week's powder in Niseko during your holidays late Dec - Jan is going to be you're only choice.

But the spring conditions are lovely at Niseko. I would go again. The only drawback was (as Mike said) lots of resturants had closed for the season and the bus was not running, and no nighta's. But it was SO quiet - like having the equivalent of an Aussie resort on a blue sky day all to yourself.

The trouble for the Aussie tourist is the school holidays. Seriously for the little kids - it is not so much a consideration...but for the bigger ones doing important high school years you are stuck only travelling during the school holidays. Personally I would think marketing the spring conditions to families of younger kiddies - those who are not trapped by leaving exams - whose kids might struggle with the bleak and cold of January - would be a good move. But that is just one punters perspective.

We're going up at the end of Feb next year for partly that reason. But families with younger kids are probably not the biggest demographic visiting Niseko, are they?

Actually, this was taken during a March trip. Lots of good things about being up there in March - still a good chance for good snow (just not a reliable as Jan or Feb) and very very very quiet.

http://www.snowjapan.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=e6e82442c770f7c8606f

I agree Mamabear spring conditions in Niseko are fabulous everyday was perfect with only one yukky day High winds and complete white out. Most days were blue skys with nice warm (1oC)days. We hit the slopes early as it did get a little slushy by late afternoon.

We are going mid February next year little nervous as reading all the forums it is a lot colder, windier and LOTS of SNOW!!!! We are lucky enough to have been able to book after school holidays and Chinese New Year so we are hoping Niseko is not totally packed but we did have to hunt around for accomodation as it was filling up at that time fast.

This year we are incorporating the Ice Festival at the beginning of our trip and then 14 days of skiing (COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!)

SKIING IS THE REASON I WORK!!!!

OHhhh!!!

Snowhunter I am jealous!

The Sapporo Ice Festival is one of the things I REALLY REALLY want to experience in my lifetime.

Kids and thier school pressures have been making that unrealistic at the moment - but one day! One Day!!!

You are going to have a fantastic time!!

Don't be nervous about the extra snow and cold - I was as well! No need. It is amazing. There is nothing in the world like an early morning run on untracked knee deep powder. My feet FROZE - but the amazing silence of floating through it is just etheral!

Originally Posted By: snowhunter
I agree Mamabear spring conditions in Niseko are fabulous everyday was perfect with only one yukky day High winds and complete white out. Most days were blue skys with nice warm (1oC)days. We hit the slopes early as it did get a little slushy by late afternoon.

We are going mid February next year little nervous as reading all the forums it is a lot colder, windier and LOTS of SNOW!!!! We are lucky enough to have been able to book after school holidays and Chinese New Year so we are hoping Niseko is not totally packed but we did have to hunt around for accomodation as it was filling up at that time fast.

This year we are incorporating the Ice Festival at the beginning of our trip and then 14 days of skiing (COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!)

SKIING IS THE REASON I WORK!!!!

Niseko even during Chinese NY isn't all that busy. Apart from the quad and Gondola at Hirafu, which can get busy particularly if the top of the mountain is close, you'll rarely have to wait for very long on any lift. Where it does get busy is after hours. Finding somewhere decent to eat can be tricky. Speak to the people you're booking through or do a search for "powder life" which is a free mag/website they have up there for details of restaurants. A week or two before you get to Niseko, give some of the places a call and book a table. We did this this year and it made life much easier knowing that we already had a table locked and loaded and didn't have to schlep around the village in the dark and cold trying to find somewhere to eat. Book a place for some of the nights and take a chance for some others. If your plans change you can always cancel and most places will have someone who can speak English.

At peak season, the restaurants have become beyond a joke. Even if you have a table, they are so overwhelmed that they can't serve in time. Restauranteurs underestimating their demand and so staffing not up to par, kitchen overrun etc.. Let's hope they don't run out of beer. Let's hope they get their act together for the next onslaught.

That wasn't our experience. We had a fairly long wait one night, but the food was worth it. Other than that, we really didn't have a problem. Booking a head certainly helped getting past the que in some places.

They definitely need more places though. But I guess part of the problem is that there really is only a decent business for 3 or 4 months of the year. Pretty hard to run a restaurant on that basis unless you shut down during the off season.

Too true. Unless..... as I heard from Mamabear, they do the Aussie winter in Aus and the Japanese winter in Japan, then that would be a win win.

My epxeriences last season were in a coupla of my favorite places. Big Cliff was overwhelmed by a huge wave of diners, everynight I tried. And a few other places asked us to come back at 9. Not enough places for sure.

Thanks Mamabear for the warning on freezing feet I have just ordered a BOX of feet and hand warmers. Don't be to jealous I think the accommodations for 3 nights in Sapporo for the Ice Festival equaled our 14 days accommodation in Niseko.

Thanks BOC about the restaurants if worst comes to worst Ocotpus Balls, Andy Pizza or Seico Mart will look good. Loved the little japanese restaurant just down the side street from the Niseko Park Hotel.

Now I want to go there tomorrow!!! HOW MANY DAYS NOW!!!!!!!!!