All of the resorts in Japan sound great, but what are the differences between them? What are the top resorts known for? It sounds like all of them have great snow & terrain -- but is there any differentiation?

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted By: thursday.
Polarizing on those which embrace change and the foreign market and those who do not. But that is almost certainly a generalization.

There's some great resorts that haven't embraced change, like SunAlpina in Hakuba. Sure it's not "steep and deep" (well...deep enough in parts), but the old guys giving you the thumbs up when you come out of the trees covered in powder are pretty cool.

Maybe my question wasn't too clear, sorry.

I guess I'm just wondering if the ski resorts have certain reputations. Like, In the USA, Steamboat is known for "champagne powder" while Vail is known for attracting a lot of rich international skiers, and Aspen is known for having a lot of movie star visits. Do Japanese resorrts have any repurations like this?

I think Niseko has a reputation for attracting tons of australians?

Originally Posted By: Justin21
Maybe my question wasn't too clear, sorry.

I guess I'm just wondering if the ski resorts have certain reputations. Like, In the USA, Steamboat is known for "champagne powder" while Vail is known for attracting a lot of rich international skiers, and Aspen is known for having a lot of movie star visits. Do Japanese resorrts have any repurations like this?

I think Niseko has a reputation for attracting tons of australians?

Not only Austrralians, but they are the ones who stand out more 'cos they look gaijin.

In 2004 visitors to Hokkaido included over 80,000 from Australia, over 200,000 from Taiwan.

In 2004 visitors to Hokkaido included over 80,000 from Australia, over 200,000 from Taiwan.

So of the 87700 Australian tourists that visited Japan in 2004 you are saying that 80000 visited Hokkaido. Very impressive stats there. stir
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ

So of the 87700 Australian tourists that visited Japan in 2004 you are saying that 80000 visited Hokkaido. Very impressive stats there. stir

Well, I'm glad somebody is paying attention in class.

Good spot TJ, I mixed up my HK stats for Aus stats. This from the JETRO "Foreign Tourist Visits and Investment in Niseko Area" report 2006. These figures for 2004:

Taiwan 208,600
Hong Kong 82,750
Korea 63,850
China 12,050
Asia Others 11,250
America 9,100
Russia 8,700
Australia 14,650
Others 18,100
Total 427,050

Nothing concrete unfortunately. An informed guestimate.

I know that 1 Australian tour operator brings in more than half of the 14,650 figure quoted above. And there are MANY operators in the area now. Plus a number of homeowners go the independent route.

Would be interesting to see the per person spend too.

Typically the Australians spend the same amount as the Hong Kong & Singapore visitors per day during winter, but more importantly tend to stay twice as long.

• 2 weeks later...

30%? Wow. I have asked a few people I know round here who have places - 2 said the prices will be the same (so effectively lowering them due to the increase in costs etc) and one said they will increase by 200 yen a night!