How long have you been skiing or snowboarding?

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Originally Posted By: dawnblue
skied in austria about 20 years ago. had an accident. didn't realise i busted my ACL until last year in whakapapa NZ. finally realised what passion i have for snowsliding, quickly had my ACL reconstructed in jan08.

dec08 will be great milestone - post surgery - but will be swapping 2 sticks for a board since i have been surfing and skateboarding the last few years. hopefully, it will be a cinch.

bad memory! first time was at Buller!
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: dawnblue
dec08 will be great milestone - post surgery - but will be swapping 2 sticks for a board since i have been surfing and skateboarding the last few years. hopefully, it will be a cinch.

or if nothing else, an opportunity to acquire different injuries...

Approximately negative 3 months.

My first ever time to the snow, let alone snowboarding will be on Feb the 21st 2009 in Hakuba.

I'm pretty excited by it as it's a long way to go for your first trip to the snow (I've never been to Japan either) and as an avid board sports fanatic (I skateboard and windsurf and have dabbled in Surfing) snowboarding looks like a lot a damn fun!

3 Months is too far away mind you...

First went skiing for a week in Austria in 2000, then went for a couple of days in the French Pyrenees a couple of months later. Didnt ski again until I moved to Japan in 2004. I manage to get about 10 days skiing each year. I'd say Im a pretty good intermediate level now, but whenever I start in the morning, I just cant quite get it - feels a bit awkward, but then I'll really get into it mid afternoon, and will be blasting through powder, no problems, and it feels so easy! Reckon I could do with a proper lesson, to show me exactly what Im doing wrong in the mornings! I tried snowboarding too, just for one day - could get down alright linking turns by the end of the day, but cos I can pretty much ski anywhere on piste (apart from deep, steep moguls) it seems a bit of a waste stuck on the baby slopes learning snowboarding, when I could be all over the place on skis!

• 1 month later...

First went snowboarding in 1996, then after many years chasing surf, picked up the snowboard again last winter in NZ.

Am now hooked and will be in Japan next week, planning Canada next year, and where-ever the snow is good after that.

I used to ski as a little kid at Falls Creek then my dad got us more heavily into surfing and windsurfing and I didn't make it back to the snow for 20 years. I first tried snowboarding for a couple of days at Mt Buller in 2006 and was hooked immediately. Coming at it from a surfing, windsurfing and skateboarding background it feels so much more natural to me than skiing.

I had 10 days in NZ at the start of the 2007 season and broke my wrist on the last day which made me miss most of the rest of the Aussie winter. In 2008 I did maybe half a dozen day trips to Buller and a week long trip to Mt Hotham. By this time next week I'll be in Tokyo before heading to Niseko and Hakuba for 3 weeks. That will almost double my boarding experience in one trip. I can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...