How long have you been skiing or snowboarding?

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all (first time posting here)

This is my second year boarding.... in 2007 I decided I need a break and I went to the snow (Thredbo) for the second time in my life... (was a child then and I was at Buller) anyway I picked up a snowboard and fell over so many times I thought I never get the hang of it... sore and frustrated I decided I was going to keep at it and I improved my skills (with the help of a private lesson at Cornet Peak this year) and I went to Persher again this year....

I skill have troble linking turns and going toeside but I hope to work on that with a trip to japan in late jan early feb (rolling the numbers ATM)

(I also brought my own boots and board this year)

First ever trip to the snow was in 1983 on a family trip to Guthega (NSW Snowy Mountains, Australia) for 1 week.

We stayed in Sponar's Chalet, and drove/got some shuttle up to & back from Guthega each day.

Guthega was it's own ski resort back then, there was no Blue Cow resort.

My sister & I picked it up pretty well, progressing to some very enjoyable & exhilarating runs down Parachute & Mother-In-Law (the tougher runs there) over our final 2 days of 5 in total skiing.

As such, Guthega will always hold fond memories for me.

Been most years since, skiing at some area for at least a few days to a week each year.

Worked the entire season at The Waterhole Bar (barman) at Blue Cow during the first 1 or 2 years of it's opening - 1990 when they had a really good season, and developed my skiing a fair bit better during that time.

But I didn't REALLY get into it until skiing almost 50 days at Blackcomb (as well as several at Whistler, Red Mountain & Cypress Bowl) in BC, Canada during 1995.

Whilst there I was encouraged to read the book: Inner Skiing (by Timothy Gallwey & Bob Kriegel) which I did after picking it up cheap in a small second-hand bookstore in Rossland, BC - the late 70's edition. Quite a good read for us skiiers.

Also took some nice lessons during that time.

Have skied with quite a few very good snowboarders over the years, and tried it several times myself.

Could do it OK, but cannot navigate various areas of the mountain I usually like to anywhere near as easily as on skis.

Love it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

skied in austria about 20 years ago. had an accident. didn't realise i busted my ACL until last year in whakapapa NZ. finally realised what passion i have for snowsliding, quickly had my ACL reconstructed in jan08.

dec08 will be great milestone - post surgery - but will be swapping 2 sticks for a board since i have been surfing and skateboarding the last few years. hopefully, it will be a cinch.

i do not think that anyone else in malaysia can have as many snowboard mags as i do! smile they have been a great help to rehab.