Bring my children to Hokaido on 1st week of Dec? Anyone can tell me whether there will be enough snow that they can learn to ski a little and play with snow? So many resort in Hokkaido...Which resort in Hokkaido will be easier to access and great for kids to play. Should we stay up at the resort or stay in the town?

Thanks Which resort is good in Niseko for children. From web-site, some are not even opened in the first week of Dec. I will be travelling on JR pass, I should stop at Sapporo or there is a station at Niseko?

• 1 month later...

Yes, I am travelling on JR on our own. Just posted another questions just now on whether Rusutu Resort is better or Hirafu is better? Advise? Travelling with two young kids, afraid of nothing much to play in Niseko except for snow fight. But the view at Niseko is really great, so I am so wanted to go both but may not have enough time...

YM1919 I'm with Thursday why would you take a train when getting a coach from Chitose is so easy it will drop you right in the heart of Niseko. Getting the train from chitose to Kutchan and then taxi or bus with kids and luggage doesn't sound like a great way to start your trip.

Go with TSV and go into Snowjapan daily reports and check the archives out for that month!!!! Family Ace run is a great run for beginners (including children)

The snow normally starts falling to village level in Niseko around the 2nd week of Nov. By late Nov, early Dec in a normal year you'd expect somewhere close to 1/2 metre of snow at village level and up near 1 metre at the top. Obviously this can vary greatly and there are years where snow at village level doesn't really accumulate until early Dec.

As pointed out above it is much easier to get to Niseko by bus. Still if you're arriving at Chitose fairly early in the day then a trip on the train into Sapporo and then around the coast through Otaru to Kutchan is very scenic. If you haven't seen snow drifts on a beach before it's pretty cool. Although early Dec there may be little snow settled right at sea level.

Hi Thursday. I am taking train because I am taking train in from Tokyo to Sapporo. My sons are fans of shinkansen.. so they totally do not mind the 9 hours trip on trains for the last trip. We will be buying the 7 days JR pass, arriving Sapporo or stop over at Hakodate first. Then, the next day travel to Kutchan by train. Yes, your right, the luggage and kids are the worrying part. The last trip was summer, so luggage were lighter but this round..will be difficult. Do the bus has storage space for luggage?

I was also thinking of a little greedy of going to both Rusutu and Niseko. Niseko for me and Rusutu for the kids. Do Niseko has tubing because one of my son is only four? Was taking of leaving Sapporo to Niseko in early morning, ski at Niseko. Stay for the night. Next morning goes to Rusutu and back Niskeo for another night. For that, I do not have to take my luaggage with me. Good idea? Thanks.

A little confused I am in Aus. You are getting the train from Toyko to Sapporo SOMEWHERE in there won't you have to fly or get a boat across to the north of Japan or is there a bridge???? The coaches from Chitose are great easily takes all your luggage (we had Bags, Ski Bag and Snowboard bag). We were lucky enough to get dropped at our hotel but even if you get dropped at the Welcome center or other stops it is only a short walk to most accomodation.

Niseko is great for kids there is a petting zoo, tubing, winter horse riding we found it very children friendly. Also more to do at night in Niseko with all the restaurants plus only a 15 minute bus ride into Kutchan. Can't really advise on Rusutsu as I haven't been there.

There is a tunnel between Honshu and Hokkaido for trains. You will have to change trains at Hakkodate and you don't actually have to go all the way to Sapporo. You can get a local train to Oshamanbe and then get a train directly to Kutchan.

I ve done the train trip from Tokyo to Sapporo 5 years ago. The Shinkansen will only take you as far as Hachinoe in Aomori. Then you will have to take the express train that goes to Hakodate and change there to the train that goes to Sapporo. There is tunnel that connects Hokkaido to Aomori but its only for trains. If I remember well, there is talk of extending the Shinkansen lines up to Hakodate, but thats not gonna happen in the near future for sure.

In all its a nice trip if you like trains, but you will lose one full day. There are also night trains with beds and private rooms doing the route Tokyo-Sapporo but its pretty hard to book a seat on them.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
There are also night trains with beds and private rooms doing the route Tokyo-Sapporo but its pretty hard to book a seat on them.

Especially from outside of Japan. I would say next to impossible.

Hi all, I have taken the train from Tokyo (Ueno) to Sapporo two years ago in summer. Two transfers - one at Hachinohe and Hakodate. But, yes it take 9 hours and a whole day gone. However, we all enjoy the ride. Probably to save a day, we will fly back on return. Thanks, will consider going to Kutchan direct instead of to Sapporo. But, may have to go shopping in Sapporo to buy all the snow shoes, etc first..fist time in Hokkaido in winter..not sure whether what we bring is enough..

Thanks all. Any one can suggest value for money accomdation in Sapporo and Niseko? Budget below 20,000 yen per room. Find it very difficult to get triple room in Japan.

It's a shame that line is now only for the train romantics. It's cheaper to fly from Tokyo to Sapporo and with a lot less hassle.

YM, definitely lots more going on in Niseko, your time would be better spent concentrating in and around Niseko. The good stuff about Rusutsu is all about skiing, since you might or might not be able to do much of that in early December, leave Rusutsu 'til the next trip perhaps later on in the season when the snow comes truely online.

Thanks Thursday. Decided to take the advice of just staying at Niseko since Snowhunter says there are many activities for kids too at Niseko. Thanks Snowhunter. Anyone has any recommendation for accomodation - should stay in the village right?

now, YM, that would depend on what kinda accomodation you prefer. Some people like to shop, prepare, cook, wash-up, sweep the floor, take the trash out and repeat for each day that they are in Niseko, just so they feel at home.