People using language as an excuse

While we are on the subject of things that annoy you how about this one?

There's this one guy I know and there have been a few times now when a few mistakes have been made at work - his mistakes - but he uses the "gaijin/language misunderstanding" card as an excuse. It drives me crazy as in the cases he has done this I know (KNOW) that he and I both totally understood what was on the table.

Anyone else know people like that.

( I do make mistakes as well by the way wink )

Definitely NOT restricted to gaijin/nihonjin relationships. It happens even when both sides speak (ostensibly) the same language.

My ex (a psychologist) was an expert at word/meaning games. Got me going too, until I wised up and left!

One dude I used to work with really used that a lot and it did my head in. Totally unfair. When he moved on, I put in a formal complaint about his behaviour, complete with documentated evidence. Never did hear if anything was done there.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
You have no idea... biggrin

tson, what about M-chan? Can she get away with it? wink

I havent been able to play that card at work for many years now. My coworkers neither otherwise wed prolly be fired. I never speak Japanese when people come to my house, except for the gas lady, she knows me pretty well. Other people though, and I usually just ignore the bell ringing anyways, only English.

GG, why didnt you pull outta can of whooopass earlier on the guy?
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
You have no idea... biggrin

tson, what about M-chan? Can she get away with it? wink

Thats actually a problem...

I was able to avoid a ticket when I was pulled over and alone in the car by speaking in English, but was not able to pull the same trick this winter when I was coming back from haks together with tsondagirl. veryangry