I was in Japan until the first semester of high school and we had kyushoku until middle school. There were no days where I did not like the food but curry rice was always my favorite.

I had a year of it and generally I really liked it... until the last 3 months - the person in charge of the menu changed and it went from being quite Western style - curry, hamburgers, pasta, bread - to the other extreme almost overnight with lots of seaweed, fish and other things that didn't suit me. I was very saddened.

No pies, but generally pretty good if you ask me.

I always used to laugh. Ask the kids what they had for lunch and you could almost guarantee that they said "milk" first. (They had milk every single day).

They didn't have the cool triangualar milk cartons we had at school back in the old days though (for morning break).

(They didn't have the sticky jam pudding either!)

I used to get the triangle milk cartons made with plastic in the beginning of elementary school. But they were discontinued as it used to break and leak all the time. During the summer time or any warmer time, I still remember the smell of dry-rotten milk on the kyushoku cart. Then, it was changed to the standard paper box carton.

Know what you mean Hotrod. I have experienced 2 places - one was great, I was always looking forward to lunch there. the 2nd was not so great, every day I was dreading what would be put in front of me and only being able to eat a small % of it!

I work at a well to a do private JnrHigh/High school and you would think that is a place like that the school lunches would be pretty good, but they are pretty mediocre! the 430yen lunch set is usually very bland and lifeless.

Quote:
it went from being quite Western style - curry, hamburgers, pasta, bread - to the other extreme almost overnight with lots of seaweed, fish and other things

perhaps your school had a "metabo" issue and the nutritionist decided the latter was a healthier option?

Actually no I don't think so. It wasn't all calorie menu, they did a good balanced variation. I think it has more to do with the fact that the lady in charge of putting the menus together liked that kind of food and then the lady that replaced her was very much traditional food loving.

Although I started the rant on the other thread, I actually like Kyushoku when I eat it. Like 2pints, I have always loved school dinners. My favourite I think is the niku-jaga variations that you get, the mabo tofu is good as well. Also I now eat a lot more veg than I used to even stuff I don't really like, such as boiled cabbage. We had Hamburger in tomato sauce with mushrooms and onions today....very nice!!

I think that must have been everywhere, we had that. I used to love it as well. I have just jotted it down on my "stuff to ask mum to make" list for summer/ smile

Originally Posted By: echineko
I used to enjoy kyushoku especially at my junior high school. I can't believe it was nearly 15 years ago! wink

Is kyushoku only at JHS and Elementary shcools or do they have it at high schools as well?
Do you get a choice of dishes?
Originally Posted By: scouser
I think that must have been everywhere, we had that. I used to love it as well. I have just jotted it down on my "stuff to ask mum to make" list for summer/ smile

yeah I reckon there wouldn't be much difference over the whole of the UK.

The other day I made a Scottish favourite for the first time, tattie scones (potato scones). Fantastic!! I was finally able to have a giant tattie scone the size of my plate!!