Price of gasoline around world

been buying organic vegs for the baby. Potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, baby choi sum, baby pak choi, sweetcorn, tomatoes, etc etc. They cost about twice as much as the normal stuff.

Either the retailers are having a laugh or they're having a real big laugh.

Common sense tells me to stop it, but the wife says, be safe better than sorry. doh

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
I'm sure km/l the hybrids are way in front. But add to those costs things like purchase price, insurance, maint etc. and the difference may not be quite a pronounced. But then I have absolutely no idea...

On a different point altogether - why should green or organic or generally non-toxic stuff cost more? The governments should be doing everything they can to encourage people to opt for the good stuff. Instead there is a kind of pain imposed on anyone who wants to do their bit and move away from the bad old ways.

RD its exactly the same for healthy food. Governments are always on about how western society is turning into lard ass tubbies, but look in any super market and its cheaper to buy food that is loaded with fat, sugar and salt.

Mr Wiggles, how long have you had your Prius? Has anything gone wrong with it?

I used to run a Mercedes, it came with a 3 year all inclusive warranty. When the 3rd year was near up, they changed the aircon, the right steering arm and all the window motors. Why? Cos it's all covered in the warranty and they wanted to claim from Mercedes just for the hell of it... and to stop me claiming from them afterwards I suppose.

I was glad they did it. So much so I sold it with an extended warranty.

My Toyota one now has a 5 year warranty for paint, 2 years for electrics and all labour costs NOT included. *sigh*

But that aside, I'm quite interested for some nightmare tales on the Prius.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
we will never run out of oil. There will still be plenty of it around. It would just be too expensive to use that's all.

Excuse me?? Never is a damned long time, and I probably won't be around to see it, but there IS an absolute finite amount of the stuff there!

Some of it will be almost impossible to get, so technically we won't have "run out", but it will result in the same thing, oil there to be got but not available since the cost of retrieval is prohibitive.

Once the cost of exploration and exploitation of oil fields reaches a critical point (and I have NFI what that might be, just that it WILL happen) the return on exploration investment will not balance the cost and nobody will be bothered looking.

"Plenty" is an interesting term - but it has no meaning in the current context, unless it is quantified by "plenty to do xxx" or "plenty for X years supply at current consumption rates". And don't let's forget that China is increasing its use of the fossil fuels (oil, coal, gas) at a rate not seen in the world for many years. Their economy is predicated on the increasing use of cheap fossil fuels, so they are buying up big and stockpiling. That is a major part of the reason for the increased price at the pumps.
Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
- why should green or organic or generally non-toxic stuff cost more? The governments should be doing everything they can to encourage people to opt for the good stuff.

There's a small matter of what the governments of the world get from the producers. Manufactured foods, because of the use of fuels, and labour, produce more tax income for the governments. And, that neglects the pressure that the big manufacturers are able to exert on governments (of all persuasions).

JA but it really is simply swaping one source of revenue and bunch of special interest groups for another. Letting the market sort it out is one thing but a bit of government help for obviously good things wouldn't be bad.

On the oil thing - there are many different sources of oil - some are more expensive than others and some are more readily accessible than others. Right now we're really only using the (comparitively) easy to get at stuff. There may be a point where it will become too expensive to use as a fuel (not a particularly efficient use, as I understand it) but we won't run out. There will NEVER be a point where oil is not available for those who want it. Ok, there might be a point where for people like us it is so expensive that it is for intents and purposes gone from the world but that is a very long way off though.

I dunno, this is kinda repetitive.

If there are teachers out there who think that we will run out of oil, then you people should stop teaching. You are fuelling speculators' children on sensationalist notions that they will paint further.

I don't really want to repeat myself, but hell, the sound of my own voice does sound good. PLANET EARTH WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF OIL. MAN WILL USE OTHER ALTERNATIVES WHEN THE PRICE IS RIGHT. OIL WILL THEN BE LEFT WHERE IT IS.

Go back to your classrooms and prepare for the worst.

Hey thurs, no need to shout in bold! OK, agree that there will always be oil there, but, and this is the important thing, IMHO, we will reach the stage when what's there is not commercially viable. So ... for all practical purposes, there will be none left.

Not a difficult concept, surely. And not, actually, in conflict with what you've said (over and over and ...)stir