Seen this?

Quote:
It has hardly been unremarked upon in the fishing town of Gloucester in Massachusetts that girls at its North Shore High School have been getting pregnant in alarming numbers. No fewer than 17 have turned up with child this year, four times the level seen last year.

Stumped for an explanation, officials pointed to the popularity of this year's Oscar-winning film Juno, a heart-warmer about a schoolgirl who finds herself expecting and decides against the quick fix of abortion.

It is true that national statistics recently showed a small rise in teenage pregnancy rates after a 15-year downward trend. But if anybody in Gloucester thought these girls had simply been careless, they found out differently yesterday.

An investigation by Time magazine came up with a quite unexpected and shocking reason for the motherhood rash. It also resolved the mystery of why so many girls had been trooping out of class all year and into the school clinic for pregnancy tests, often to seem more disappointed than relieved if the results came back negative. Indeed, many of them were showing up for tests multiple times.

The report, posted on Time's website yesterday, claims that teachers finally rumbled that at least half of the girls, none of whom were over 16, had entered into a secret pact to try to get pregnant and then raise their babies together.

Nuts.

Yeah I saw that too. Sad. I read that a lot of the children in that school came from dysfunctional families and many of the girls wanted babies because they wanted someone who would love them unconditionally.

you know it is somewhat better than a famous pact that was made in my home town in the late 80's - a suicide pact. Of the guys in that pact only one is still alive. At the time it made national headlines and my town was the notoriously known as the suicide capital of the country.

They went out in pretty gruesome ways too, one took a nice hot bath with a bar heater, one gave the barrel of a shot gun a blow job, and IIRC there were hangings, and slit wrists as well.

A pregnancy pact is a little weird and one does worry for the future of the children as many of the sperm donors are in their late 20's (and perhaps up on rape charges with underage girls too I believe) and won't likely be around to raise them at all in any case.