• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sliced pork that they have here looks like bacon but tastes different, I guess its not cured or however bacon is prepared.

Scouser, get your mum to vacumn pack one of those butties for me and send it over, I'd kill for one of them!!

My friend and I used to go to Big Boy family restaurant and she liked her meat burnt to crisp - no red or blood whatsoever, can't understand it myself but each to their own. She was adamant that it was to be well well done to the waitress, but it always came medium and she always sent it back, it was comical, you think they would have learned.

The guys in the kitchen just never caught on, probably did it on purpose to upset the fussy strange gaijin no doubt....

my mother likes well done, so when we were kids and when she cooked dinner, she made everyones steak well done. It used to annoy Dad and me a lot, so if we were around we would watch her and make sure she didn't ruin our steaks by turning them to leather too..

Originally Posted By: SG
My friend and I used to go to Big Boy family restaurant and she liked her meat burnt to crisp - no red or blood whatsoever, can't understand it myself but each to their own. She was adamant that it was to be well well done to the waitress, but it always came medium and she always sent it back, it was comical, you think they would have learned.
The guys in the kitchen just never caught on, probably did it on purpose to upset the fussy strange gaijin no doubt....

my mother likes well done, so when we were kids and when she cooked dinner, she made everyones steak well done. It used to annoy Dad and me a lot, so if we were around we would watch her and make sure she didn't ruin our steaks by turning them to leather too..

tbh a good chef should always slightly undercook a steak, that way if a mistake has been made and the customer has a complaint and sends it back then they can do something about it, overcook a steak and its too late.

Damn good point, tubby. Actually never considered that aspect.

I have gone from wanting steaks to be well done, as a kid, to now expecting medium at most. I suspect it is a maturity thing.

It's terribly uncool to want your steak anything other than swimming in natural red sauces, so I will have to be uncool and immature. I don't like it "leather" but I need it to be cooked and here in Japan it's well done - that often comes to you borderline red anyway here.

Once I tried some quality beef rare (here in Japan) and it was grosser than gross. For me, right, before I get shouted at.

Originally Posted By: rach
It's terribly uncool to want your steak anything other than swimming in natural red sauces

not uncool, just a shame that's all, you might as well buy a cheap steak if you want well done as by making it well done you have lost the tenderness and some of the flavour that made the steak expensive in the first place.
Each to their own.

There is this steak house near where I live that used to do half price steaks every 20th of the month. They also had a competition that if you could eat 2 X 1kg steak plus the 2 sides that come with it (either rice or bread) in 30 mins then you'd get your meal free and 10,000 yen. I didn't try it, the biggest steak I ate was a whopping 800g. It was huge!! My mate got a 1kg steak once as well and this thing was giant!! He got it cooked rare but by the time he got to the middle of the steak, it had gone cold and as it was so thick, the inside was barely cooked at all, it was like he was eating a slab of raw beef!! Not my idea of fun.

wiki says this

* Raw - Uncooked. Used in dishes like steak tartare, Carpaccio, Gored gored, tiger meat and Kitfo.

* Blue rare or very rare - (37.8°C/100°F core temp) Cooked very quickly; the outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and barely cooked. The steak will be red on the inside and barely warmed. Sometimes asked for as 'blood rare'. In the United States this is also sometimes referred to as 'Black and Blue' or 'Pittsburgh Rare'.

* Rare - (48.9°C/120°F core temp) The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is red and slightly warm.

* Rare plus - The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is mostly red and warm, with some pink. Often ordered by those who prefer medium rare and don't mind rare but worry about overcooking towards medium.

* Medium rare - (52.2°C/126°F degrees core temp) The steak will have a fully red, warm center. Unless specified otherwise, upscale steakhouses will generally cook to at least this level.

* Medium - (57.2°C/135°F degrees core temp) The middle of the steak is hot and red with pink surrounding the center. The outside is gray-brown.

* Medium well done - (62.8°C/145°F degrees core temp) The meat is light pink surrounding the center.

* Well done - (73.9°C/160°F degrees core temp) The meat is gray-brown throughout and slightly charred.

A style exists in some parts of North America called "Chicago". A Chicago-style steak is cooked to the desired level and then quickly charred. The diner orders it by asking for the style followed by the doneness (e.g. "Chicago-style rare"). A steak ordered "Pittsburgh rare" is rare or very rare on the inside and charred on the outside. In Pittsburgh, this style is referred to as "black and blue" (black, i.e. sooty on the outside, Blue rare on the inside).[citation needed]

In Taiwan, a number system from "0" to "10" is commonly used to specify steak doneness, with 0 as raw and 10 as "well done."

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Anyone ever been really well 'ard and asked for it "raw"?

That would impress me no end! wink

I have had steak tartare and do still if the menu carries it and if it is a clean looking place. But I'm not well 'ard. slap