Was at a rather expensive restaurant over the weekend and steak was on the menu. Now I like steak but it has to be well done ... and I mean well done, ie no sign of blood.

Anyway, it came and there it was - hardly cooked at all if you ask me and blood most definitely on view.

I told them that I ordered specifically for it to be well done, so they took it away and it came back. Still red. I dread to think what rare would be.

Seems that some chefs just can't bring themselves to do proper well done.

:(

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medium steak is okay but what is with all this raw chicken? I went to a posh J-fireplace-barbeque type place with work and they kept putting the chicken on my plate and I had to keep taking it off and putting the skewer back in the sand until it was cooked.

Originally Posted By: me jane
Medium steak is okay but what is with all this raw chicken? I went to a posh J-fireplace-barbeque type place with work and they kept putting the chicken on my plate and I had to keep taking it off and putting the skewer back in the sand until it was cooked.

I hate raw chicken too. I am also not a big fun of medium done pork or lamb, I just like beef medium.

What kinda place would serve half cooked chicken or pork?

My parents got me ordering rare at Japanese steak houses as that's what they used to order, because they used to say fully cooked steak would kill the real flavor of beef or something like that, but they were very strict about cooking chicken and pork fully.

I've ordered "rare" prime rib at Outback (Franchise Steak house in US) and I got real rare slice before. Even though I liked "rare" steak in Japan, I actually asked them to make it medium rare. After that, I made sure to order mine medium rare.

Don't know how you can eat steak that is well done. By the time it gets that cooked it tastes nothing like meat anymore and the texture is terrible. I have my steak cooked blue (rarer than rare). Although very red there's little blood as the cells have not been all broken down (like when you get it cooked beyond medium) so all the juices are still in the steak...mmmm

Theres no point eating steak 'well done', and that's why chefs wont make it for you. It tastes like leather.

If you want something burnt/crispy like that, just go to yakiniku or have a bbq.

blue rare is - for me - just totally gross. I couldn't put it in my mouth, especially as it's still moo-ing.

I like well done or somewhere around there in Japan where it still comes half cooked!

As bobby points out there is just no real point in eating good steak well done. By cooking it so much you loose all the flavour and ternderness that should be enjoyed with quality steak. As he points out, if you want it cooked all the way through go to yakiniku. Don't waste your money on a good steak if all you're going to do is turn it into a burnt husk.

And charlotte I bet if I blindfolded you and let you have a morsel of blue rare steak that just melts in your mouth with an explosion of flavour you'd soon get over the way it looks. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it! I have tried well done....ahhh the nightmares still haunt me.

The better the steak, the rarer it can (and should) be eaten.

A really good steak should be "melt in the mouth" tender at rare or less.

Cooking such a steak beyond medium is a way of telling the producer that you really don't like the taste of beef, and would prefer to eat shoes.

I'm more than happy with a rare to medium rare steak - epsecially a kobe/wagyu. YUM!

But the family prefer to sizzle the meat till it is tough and chewy....silly people! Dunno what they are missing.

well done steak is such a travesty!1 It should at the most be medium. I like mines rare and my girlfriends mum prepares awesome gyu-sashimi. I'd never eat chicken rare though, its gotta be fully cooked, pork the same, BUT not where it has lost all its moisture, it should still be moist, just not pink IMO.

I wish you could get proper bacon out here, that streaky american-style pish is second rate at best

Ah bacon.

When I go back home, my mum always has some bacon in the fridge and my first breakfast is always bacon butties with fresh granary bread (lots of bits). I always look forward to that big time.

I always wonder what actually happens to the bacon in japan. they must make something else out of those cuts of pork.

co-incidentally, you can eat japanese bacon raw.

I've seen that cut of pork in the supermarket sliced thin... not sure to what end. Shabu-shabu maybe? I have had that part as a simmered dish seasoned with shoyu, miso, etc. It was tender and the meat broke apart with hashi. A bit fatty though, but what the heck! It was great!