Hi guys just starting to put together my stuff for the long delayed trip...having had a look at my board bag and its contents it appears I may need to purchase a few things in the coming months. As my last purchases were over 6 years ago and well (ab)used Im looking for some advice re purchasing the following items

Boots

Pants

Jacket

Gloves

Helmet - Been knocked out twice, with the current one so its bin time smile

To put it in context I hope to be over for 4 weeks with the hope of this being an annual trip, with 95% of my riding within resort boundaries and no av areas. Just want a month of cruising and enjoying the powder. In the past had DC boots, foursquare pants and burton Jackets. Im the kind of guy that prefers to spend my $ once by buying quality items.

I appreciate everyones input.

Thanks.

It'll help if you can be more specific to what you need, such as the waterproof and breathability for your clothing and riding style for your boots.

As for your helmet and boots, you should try out them out as many different ones/pairs as possible at your local shop, as fitting and comfortable-ness should be the top priorities.

Pete,

Factor in a few days in Tokyo and buy your gear there - you DO NOT want to be buying it in Perth!

We have bought maybe 30% of our gear in Perth, and while it is OK - the selection and price is SO much better in Tokyo. Shop after shop, multi story, both sides of the street - wall to wall snow gear. HEAVEN!

A lot we bought in Jindy (particularly fond of my Van's Boots with the BOA lacing sytem) but this selection and MORE is available at much better prices in Tokyo.

Best advice when buying - try try try. Find what is most comfortable for you. We have ended up with a massive box of unused stuff because we bought what we were thought would be good, and over time worked out what we did and did not like - discarding the disliked stuff. It is good stuff - just not our preference. And it is all too easy to end up with a spring skiing warmth jacket when you are buying in Perth, as we rarely need the warmer ones in Aus, .... but you will need them in Japan in Janaury and February!! I use two jackets for this reason - a lightweight North Face jacket with removable liner, and a heavier Jacket (can't even recall the brand!) that has only made it out of the bag for one day of Aus boarding - but got a 3 week workout in the chill of Niseko in January!

For your clothing, just make sure your jacket/pants have good rating for waterproof and breathability. I think most jackets come with 10,000MM waterproof and 5,000GM breathability. My Special Blend jacket has that rating and it kept me dry even during storms. As for the pants, I think most pants come with 5000/5000 rating and that should be sufficient. But if you do a lot of powder riding, then make sure to choose jacket/pants have powder skirt and can be attached together for the extra protection from the snow. Or, of course, you can shed more money for Gore-Tex material for better waterproof and breathability.

For gloves, personally, I like under gloves, in which jacket sleeves cover the gloves, better than over gloves, which part of gloves cover the jacket, because I don't get to ride many powder days. But if you do a lot of powder riding, then I'd buy over gloves, so your arms can be protected from the snow. I actually have both, and choose depending on the day.

Boots... I can't really recommend any since all boots fit differently. I have 07/08 Shaun White boots since I have high instep and I needed boots which give more space in that area. I'd go with traditional lace or Speed zone type, so replacement can be purchased easily. Also, I'd recommend to choose boots, in which you can tighten your boots in more than one zone. Such as Burton's Speed Zone gives you a choice of tightness in two different zones. By this, you can avoid a lot of foot pain caused by the lack of blood circulation.

If you wanna save some money, a lot of shops in US already have around 50% off for the 07/08 gear, so it might be a good idea to look around some online shops.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I have a wide foot from running around Qld as a youngster bare footed, then putting on thongs when shoes were required - no they werent made of leather with dimontes on them LOL.

Hey Thursday, yep been bouncing back and forth to Indo a lot, 4 trips this year already. Hit the Mentawais off Western Sumartra for two weeks on a luxury cat and had some great waves.

n615861479_1141338_9170.jpg

lighthouseright.jpg

Sadly but good for the bank balance I am going back to the real world Monday working in the city, but in the interview I told them Id be taking a month in Jan to go boarding smile So full steam ahead on the planning. Just need to book my freq flier points before July 1 when it changes.

Thanks again guys and hopefully only a few more dubious questions smile

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I have a wide foot from running around Qld as a youngster bare footed, then putting on thongs when shoes were required - no they werent made of leather with dimontes on them LOL.

Hey Thursday, yep been bouncing back and forth to Indo a lot, 4 trips this year already. Hit the Mentawais off Western Sumartra for two weeks on a luxury cat and had some great waves.
n615861479_1141338_9170.jpg
lighthouseright.jpg

Sadly but good for the bank balance I am going back to the real world Monday working in the city, but in the interview I told them Id be taking a month in Jan to go boarding smile So full steam ahead on the planning. Just need to book my freq flier points before July 1 when it changes.

Thanks again guys and hopefully only a few more dubious questions smile

What changes on July 1st pete?

I booked this weekend as I start a new job Monday and told them Id be taking a holiday in Jan/Feb, just hope they can deal with the fact its going to be for a month smile

There was some mention in the media that points will be harder to earn, we would need a lot more points per destination and that there will be some cash needed per ticket, but I must stress that I havenet seen any official info from Qantas but with the sharply rising fuel costs I can see why that will happen ....... not sure how it will pan out though but when I was looking the seats available were extremely limited. My trip which is Perth - Tokyo return with business there, econ back, was 124,000 points - $397 in taxes etc.

We just booked our flights from Brisbane to Tokyo and Osaka to Gold Coast - 30,000 econ to Tokyo and 48,000 star class on return leg. Must say it is a major benefit to be able to get the airfares for nothing ( taxes about $200 each way pp although a bit less for the kidlets)

It would not surprise me if sometime over the next 5-10 years we saw airfares return to the sort of relative prices that they were in the 60s - somewhat outside the broad base affordability that we now enjoy.

Might even be a good time to invest in a bicycle works.

More seriously though - saw this thing about sails like winch kites for ships that were supposedly delivering about a 30% fuel saving. One would wonder why something so seemingly simple to retrofit is not storming the market.