• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use FF almost exclusively. If I find a site that insists on IE, I use ieTab which allows me to switch rendering engines on the fly. Some sites will not render in a shelled version of IE, so then, and ONLY then, do I revert to yer actual IE from the outset.

Mind you, I think seriously about whether I REALLY, REALLY want to see what they have. - AND, I usually send 'em an email telling them that their site is unfriendly to browsers that actually follow the W3 standard.

I use FF all the time and post on a number of forums. I use to be able to post on here with FF but now I get this message, "The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again."

I am able to post on here now with IE only. WTF. The problem with using FF to post on here happenned when I started using AVG. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is

Originally Posted By: stemik
out of curiosity is there any real difference in viewing websites using different browsers?

Depends on the site and how they've coded it. Web developers work really hard to keep things looking the same. If the page is complex it can be a nightmare. Some sites send you different pages depending on your browser.

The new FF3 rocks, it is waaaaaay faster than FF2. IE isn't even in the race anymore. Mind you, if your machine is fast enough, you wont notice.
Originally Posted By: Sarge1
I use FF all the time and post on a number of forums. I use to be able to post on here with FF but now I get this message, "The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again."
I am able to post on here now with IE only. WTF. The problem with using FF to post on here happenned when I started using AVG. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is

Is your version of AVG Version 8? Version 7 was very good. Version 8 is causing a lot of browser problems. I'm now advising people to stop using AVG until the problems have been solved. Avast is a good alternative that I have been using for about two years.

If you have AVG Version 8 I would try uninstalling it to see if the problems go away. If this fixes it use a different Antivirus.

If this doesn't work I'd uninstall FF too. Then re install it. Save your bookmarks before you uninstall. Don't just do an upgrade.

If this fixes it then install a different AntiVirus.

If it is still not working, hmmmm. Let me know what happened and I'll see. JA, any other suggestions?

Weird,

I use FF2.0.14, have had AVG for "ever", and now have V8 installed and have have NO problems.

The problem the sarge is having will be in the permissions of the firewall. They may have been reset by an automatic windoze upgrade (I recall the same thing happened to me at some stage some time ago, just had to reset winFirewall to OFF, IIRC)

Will have to look when i get home from work [i have FF here but the company standard AV (Symantec)] and see what settings I had to change. Assuming I can remember - it was a few months ago and I have had other things to worry about since - nothing to do with alzheimer's, really!

violin .

Originally Posted By: stemik
out of curiosity is there any real difference in viewing websites using different browsers?

Quite a bit, actually.

If the developers have adhered to the w3 standard, all rendering engines (browsers) will generate basically the same product.

However, if the developers have used something like MS Front Page, which makes use of "FrontPage Extensions" to the standard, then ONLY IE will render the code in a sensible format. Standard browsers will not recognise the extensions and will render faithfully to the standard, giving rise to some stupid results.

When I can, I'll get some examples of FF rendered pages to show the problem.
Originally Posted By: happyhappy
You can easily use Front Page and not use Extensions. In fact, I'd bet most people do.

That'd be an interesting one. I suspect that the younger developers (you know, the ones that are into flashy whizzy noisy "loud" colours and stuff) use whatever is available in their toolbox without considering whether the extensions are involved or not.

That said, I also suspect that a lot of serious developers are well aware of the difficulties of using the FP Extensions and avoid them like the plague. Trouble is, even without the extensions, FP gives a HUGE file size because of all the additional (mostly useless) code that FP adds in for extra spaces and stuff.
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
IE winning so far.

probably because it is there when you start the machine.