Dead pixels and other non perfect technology - what is acceptable?

Last year I had a new PC and it had about 4 noticeably dead pixels on the screen. They were white and blue. I took the thing back to the shop and showed them where they proceeded to tell me that it was acceptable. I said it wasn't. Anyway we had this big argument and in the end I think they just gave in as I wasn't budging and the machine got replaced.

But what is acceptable? I know in the manuals it says that there may be a few. I don't want a new expensive machine to have imperfections like that from the first time the power goes on.

What you think?

most retailers would give you a random number. Say 7 dead pixel or more and they'll exchange.

Luckily I have not come across dead pixels on the stuff I have bought so far. Or maybe I have but have not even noticed them 'til now.

Lots of manuals will warn you to expect a few dead pixels on an LCD, or a few hot pixels on a CCD, but in general, you should take the item back and complain if there is even one and that one does in fact bother you. You are the consumer and it is your money and satisfaction level that keeps the retailler in business!

I haven't had a problem with bad pixels on any recent hardware purchases. Quality control is getting better thanks to better robots.

I had a bad pixel on my first monitor (probably 5 years ago or so) but all the ones since have been fine.

I would take it back these days if it had one.

a few months back, a colleague bought a 22inch LCD TV. Dead pixel right in the centre of the screen.

He took it back and got a replacement. Luckily the second one was fine. It was a Samsung.

yeah, Purchasing new means zero tolerance. it should NOT have any defects, in fact, it shouldn't have passed Q.A.

It's prolly a 'seconds" that someone returned, and they try and make out it is new to you...

Glad u stood up to those sheisters..

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
0 is acceptable.

But, the manufacturers vary a lot, some will replace a screen with 5 on the periphery but just 1 in the central area, others will want there to be at least 7 before even considering a replacement.

It is not so much the retailer as the manufacturer who decides what they believe is acceptable.

Hear hear! An exclamation to exhort the assembled parliamentarians to shut up and listen to the speaker. A contraction of "Hear him! hear him!"

Here endeth today's lesson on olde english!

When I got my PSP a few years ago it had 2 always on pixels.

It went back. They changed it. The 2nd one didn't power up, dead out of the box. It went back. They changed it. 3rd one was ok.