• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Japan generally has some of the best snow in the world every year. But, obviously there are "good" years and "bad" years. Skiing in Australia, I've often relied on The Frog's long range forecasts to get a handle on what to expect each season. Are there similar long-range forecasters for the Japanese scene that we can check as the new season gets closer? I just booked our holiday to Shiga Kogen for January and as this is our first trip to Japan, I'm so excited I'm looking for any news on the snow front! banner

We were in Niseko in March and they thought it was a bad season - but we thought it was great so really even a bad season in Japan is AWESOME. I was the same the first week I booked my trip (Back in April) I was checking all the reports from last year and the year before but I know we are going to have a great time regardless. I find Snow Japan have the best up to date reports and weather conditions. Maybe also snowforecast.

Originally Posted By: Retired Morris Dancer
Actually, how do the fish and insects know? Are they just clever?

No, they were trained by the Imperial government to interpret weather data after they conscripted every person into the armed forces, really put Skinner and his rats to shame I'd say. wink

It is all part of nature and cycles and breeding cues etc -

Two blokes that work for me swear that when the agapanthus flower - the flathead (big primitive looking esturine fish) are ready to jump in the boat.

and when the red geraniums flower ..... etc etc

So it is probably not too long a bow to draw that the same cues that trigger the flowers may have some effect on certain animals.

What this has to do with good years and bad years re snow fall, I am not sure.

• 1 month later...

Never mind the fish i got a much more accurate way of predicting the weather and again will be able to tell you all next month or by october. I predicted last year would be cold and snowy in the kanto area and it was not that any of you accepted that I was right. But never the less I will tell you all soon for anyone who would like to know!

Snowywharton - everyone else seems to be avoiding making predictions - a superstitious lot here, worried about jinxing things - but I'll make one for you:

Shiga Kogen in January = low temps and lots of nice, powdery snow. And no apres ski....but it won't bother you because you'll be too knackered each night to care