The FOOTBALL Thread (2008-2009)

Quote:
Rafa Benitez has reiterated his belief that Liverpool would already have won the Premier League this season were it not for the injuries of dynamic duo Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

The second-placed Reds remain in the hunt, but fierce rivals Manchester United moved to within one point of a third successive top-flight title on Wednesday night as they came from behind to win 2-1 against at Wigan.

Blah blah blah.

And what would have happened if:

- Ronaldo wasn't out for the first 7 weeks of the season;
- our defenct wasn't crocked in March;
- a billion other things happened

blah blah, just keep on preparing to LOSE*. lol

(* Again)
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate comments like that (the 'if only...' ones, coming from anyone).

It's true though. wink

Hey ManYoo people, what you reckon about Tevez and Berbatov?

What was Liverpool's maximum lead over ManYoo this year? It was at least five points at one stage with no games in hand.

Rafa can moan about Torres and Gerrard being out, but didn't he have another proven twenty-million-pound striker to fall back on...? And Dirk Kuyt?

The possible worrying one for the Toon is that Hull will get a soft one against ManYoo reserves in their last game. That's the way it looks at the moment.

We definitely blew it. Can't remember the biggest lead we had, but here's the end of December:

1 Liverpool 20 6 4 0 16 6 7 2 1 19 7 22 45

2 Chelsea 20 4 4 2 17 6 8 2 0 23 3 31 42

3 Man Utd 17 6 1 0 19 4 4 4 2 9 6 18 35

4 Arsenal 20 6 2 2 17 11 4 3 3 16 12 10 35

It was that blip around new year when we drew at home about 5 times against crap teams. torres/gerrard were out most of that time i think.

but i seem to remember torres was also out at the start of the season when we were on a winning streak.

Id still like to know why Keano didnt fit in.

Originally Posted By: rach
Quote:
Rafa Benitez has reiterated his belief that Liverpool would already have won the Premier League this season were it not for the injuries of dynamic duo Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

The second-placed Reds remain in the hunt, but fierce rivals Manchester United moved to within one point of a third successive top-flight title on Wednesday night as they came from behind to win 2-1 against at Wigan.

Blah blah blah.

And what would have happened if:

- Ronaldo wasn't out for the first 7 weeks of the season;
- our defenct wasn't crocked in March;
- a billion other things happened

blah blah, just keep on preparing to LOSE*. lol

(* Again)

Liverpool would've won it if there weren't teams like ManU, Chelsea, Arse, Everton, Blackpool, Sheffield Friday around.

I've put a lot of thought into this in the last 10 seconds and also concluded that Liverpool would have won it if they had scored more goals and got more points, combined with other teams getting less of said things. I'm quite confident of that.

In the meantime, remember it ain't over yet!

As unlikely as it is, Liverpool could quite conceivably still win.

If we beat United tomorrow, and Liverpool win theirs, then there'll be 3 points difference.

Then the pressure on the final day will be intense and anything can happen.

Perhaps all of those things happening is unlikely.

But definitely possible.

Benítez refuses to accept Manchester United's superiority

The Liverpool manager has refused to acknowledge Manchester United as the best team in the country.

Rafael-Benitez-002.jpg

BitterGlass.jpg

To understand the significance of what this weekend could mean not just to Manchester United but also Liverpool it is necessary to go back to 1994 and a freezing January night on Merseyside. Alex Ferguson's team were playing at Anfield for the first time since ending their 26-year wait for the league title and the Kop was ready for them. "Come back and sing 'Ooh Aah Cantona' when you've won 18," read the banner.

It is remarkable how much anger someone with a pot of paint and a spare bed-sheet can provoke in so many people. It was the finest of Scouse put-downs, one that has not been forgotten by the 3,000 United supporters in the away end and the many more who remember those days in the 1970s and 1980s when it seemed impossible to prise Liverpool's grip, finger by finger, from the championship trophy.

Liverpool's supporters have always been good at recognising United's weak spots. "Eighteen times," was one of their popular refrains, simple but effective, whenever they visited Old Trafford. "It always seemed such an insurmountable figure," says Andy Mitten, author of We're The Famous Manchester United, a book about United during the 1980s. "But Ferguson has well and truly knocked them off their perch now."

Except Ferguson, naturally, wants more than just to pull level. The man who stands on the verge of winning his 11th title in 17 seasons gave the impression yesterday of not being satisfied until he can see Liverpool disappearing in his wing mirrors. "The prospect of winning more titles with this team resonates with me far more than equalling someone else," he said. "This team has got a bit to go yet. It can go on to win many more titles, and that's more exciting for me."

Forty miles along the M62, Rafael Benítez was being asked how demoralising the weekend might be for Liverpool. "I don't like it," he replied, "but you can't talk about this just yet. You never know what can happen. Arsenal can do us a favour."

Yet United need only a draw today against a side they have already outplayed twice this month or, failing that, when they travel to Hull City next weekend to face a team that is falling through the league like a stone in a well.

"I think there are a lot of Liverpool supporters who are going to be very disappointed," says Peter Robinson, Liverpool's former chief executive. "In fact, they are going to be extremely disappointed. Liverpool have always been proud of the fact that they had won the league more times than anyone else. They regarded it as a tremendous achievement, and rightly so. It was something the supporters thought Manchester United would never match."

3 friends coming round.

Wine, beer and snacks in the fridge (all other stuff turfed out until tomorrow!)

First glass of wine to be poured once I have posted this.

biggrin