The FOOTBALL Thread (2008-2009)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Rafael Benítez believes that it could be Liverpool’s destiny to pull off an extraordinary Champions League comeback against Chelsea in the week the club commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Liverpool must overturn a 3-1 deficit in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final at Stamford Bridge this evening if they are to progress to the last four for the fourth time in five seasons.

A service in remembrance of the 96 Liverpool fans who lost their lives in Britain’s worst stadium disaster on April 15, 1989 will be held at Anfield tomorrow, with Benítez hoping that his players can pay their own special tribute by overcoming Chelsea, even though the odds are stacked firmly against his team.

“It could be destiny [that Liverpool go through], but I don’t want to play on this too much,†the Liverpool manager said. “For some players, like [steven] Gerrard and [Jamie] Carragher, it will be an extra motivation, but for the majority it will be a very important game and then they will be thinking about the day afterwards.â€

Best to not say it then perhaps?

We need a miracle, but hey we have been scoring like mad recently so if Chelsea are not on form (and remember JT is out) they could get run over.

I'd say chances are 1/20 of it happening though.

Think of it this way.

Chelsea won 3-1 at Anfield.

No reason why Liverpool can't return the favour at the Bridge.

Do that and it's all evens into extra time.

I just couldn't put up with the Liverpool reaction and press if they did win. It would be unbearable. For that reason, I would like Chelsea to win and face Barcelona who will in turn trash them as they deserve.

It seems like a miracle but as I said we have "been scoring goals for fun lately" (love those football cliches) so why not? I'm not getting my hopes up, but stranger things have happened.

Bags right - we did it to them on their pitch, it is entirely possible that they can do the same to us. Terry is out, we need to be a curious mix of careful but at the same time get another goal or two to put it out of reach.

I will be there, so I am hoping that I will be a happy camper.

That was an incredible game. Awful defending on both sides but that doesn't take away from the entertainment value.

Weird weird game. Amazing that 8 goals could be scored with a ref like that, he was blowing up for every tiny thing.

We can concentrate on the PL now, bring on the Arse.

Mad game.

Seemed like it might be on at times as well, but wasn't to be.

Getting dumped out of the CL is depressing.

But, there's just one to concentrate on now.

The whole game was surreal. I didnt celebrate when we scored, I guess I didnt dare to dream. Its a shame we never got our nose in front, if that had happened Im sure we would have put everyone behind the ball and closed the game down. It wasn't to be, but this year its not a bitter pill to take for me because we are still in the race for the PL and thats the one I think we all really want.