The FOOTBALL Thread (2008-2009)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in other news

Quote:
Frank Lampard will see his three-match ban wiped out by the FA today after referee Mike 'Alien Head' Riley admitted he made a horrible mistake on Sunday at Anfield.

Lampard’s red card in the 2-0 defeat to Liverpool will be overturned by an FA disciplinary commission after 'Alien Head' Riley accepted his error.

One thing Liverpool don't need is fewer match winners.

Another transfer window, another mass of hype about very little indeed. And I don't just mean Newcastle.

Over the pond, the Superbowl was amazing yet again. In spite of all the cheerleaders and glitz and advertising time-outs, the Americans can create real sporting drama. Edge of the seat stuff.

Keane was fine, his attitude was fine, never said anything in the press. In one of his later games I saw him say 'f-off' when he saw his number up for substitution but the press didnt seem to pick up on it.

He did OK in the games he played, and remember he played a lot at the start of the season when we were on fire even though he wasn't scoring. I think it was a mistake to get rid of him, he should have been given more playtime in place of kuyt. The loss of face at 12M is bad enough.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
dont worry scouser we have aggo and ngog (or whatever their nursery teacher calls them) to save the day :'(

I feel much better now.
Quote:
Two goals from Steven Thompson and another from Wade Elliot gave Burnley a 3-1 FA Cup fourth round replay victory over Premiership West Brom and continued their giantkilling efforts in cup competitions.

Albion scored a consolation through Gianni Zuiverloon but could not prevent Burnley taking a fourth Premier League scalp of the season.

The Championship outfit had earlier bundled Fulham, Chelsea and Arsenal out of the League Cup and went agonizingly close to also overcoming holders Tottenham in an epic semi-final.

Burnley next play the winners of the Arsenal versus Cardiff replay which was postponed due to heavy snow.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Arse V Cardiff? Hard to call.

Looking forward to the everton game tonight. I couldnt care less in the earlier game but somehow the chelsea win has galvanised me and I've got my hopes up about the treble ;-)

Exciting end to the Everton vs Liverpool game there. wink

I think you forgot to wear your shirt bobby!

Isn't Arshavin good? Wasn't he the one that impressed in Euro last year?

Got this sent to me last night, interesting.

Never really got why Shearer is so unliked in some quarters.

Quote:
20. Touts

“Got any spares?†No. Get a job.

19. The offside rule

“The most ridiculous thing in any sport,†one reader from California said. “Trying to time release of the ball with the position of potential receivers is full of judgment errors. It is unenforceable and it slows the game and scoring.â€

18. David Beckham

Will he stay at LA Galaxy or will stay at AC Milan? Who cares?

17. The ball

In the old days the ball used to be weigh a ton, especially if it had been raining, so scoring from distance was actually quite difficult. Nowadays balls are so light that even David Bentley can score from the halfway line.

16. Alan Shearer

“What about Alan Shearer? Probably the most boring man on the planet. He might have scored a few goals but he talks utter rubbish.†Barry, Oldham.

15. Harry Redknapp

Seems like a nice enough bloke but lots of people don’t like him.

14. Shirt sponsorship deals

Best Premier League kit this season? West Bromwich Albion. Why? They’re not flogging us anything.

13. No standing

The atmosphere at most Premier League matches these days is terrible because there are too many plastic seats and not enough away fans. Bring in safe standing areas and let in more away fans. Problem solved.

12. Booing your own players

Just wrong. Every team needs at least one useless player. Deal with it.

11. Alan Green

Radio 5 Live commentator who thinks his opinions are more important than the match he is covering.

10. Mike Ashley

“He has truly spoiled my beloved team and more to the point has let the Premier League’s best goalkeeper slip through his clammy chubby money grubbing fingers. If he wasn’t prepared to spend money why buy a football team playing in the world’s most competitive league? Why not buy a lower league club that wouldn’t cost as much?†Kevin Longstaff.

9. Premier League records

“The fastest goal in Premiership history? The best defence in Premiership history? The longest losing streak in Premiership history? These statistics are meaningless - football wasn't invented in 1992.†Tracey, Hornsea.

8. WAGs

Sven-Goran Eriksson’s legacy as England manager? Airheads who think that going out with Marcus Bent will give meaning to their sad, miserable lives.

7. Diving

“No. 1 should be diving! The worst thing about football is how some players (and you probably know who I'm talking about) hit the ground every time someone sneezes in their direction. Too bad money can't buy character.†Joe, Colorado, USA.

6. Ticket prices

Gates are falling in the Premier League, so maybe clubs will wake up and smell the coffee. Watching Arsenal shouldn’t be more expensive than going to the Royal Opera House.

5. Manchester United

“I’d love it. I’d just love it if they fall apart when Sir Alex Ferguson retires.†Chris, London.

4. Players

Let’s face it. When we were kids, football players used to be worth worshipping. The majority of them were decent, down-to earth local boys who loved their clubs. Fast forward 30 years and the Premier League is full of spoilt, overpaid, preening mercenaries who have one thing on their mind – money.

3. Referees

Are referees getting worse or have they always been useless? Both. Mike Riley proved it at Anfield on Sunday.

2. Sir Alex Ferguson

The greatest manager of all time or evil, red-faced megalomaniac who gets away with murder? The jury is out.

1. Cristiano Ronaldo

Portuguese winker we love to loathe.

That should help motivate Ronnie no end! lol