Whoah, felt that here woke me up.

And just now on the tv they had a "warming message" (kinkyu jishin sokuho) appear saying that there will be a big aftershock COMING UP! How much in advance do they know that I wonder. He is still saying it telling people to get outside or hide under tables etc... scary stuff I don't know if I would want to know that.

Hang in there Shizukoo Ishii. I've been through it (here in Niigata), try to keep strong!!

Thats the thing - the people affected might not be able to say they are ok if the eleccy is off etc.

But looking at NHK it doesn't seem as though there is widespread noticeable damage at this point (lets hope that doesn't change).

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

***This event supersedes event AT00340063.

Region: EASTERN HONSHU, JAPAN

Geographic coordinates: 39.106N, 140.608E

Magnitude: 6.9 Mw

Depth: 10 km

Universal Time (UTC): 13 Jun 2008 23:43:46

Time near the Epicenter: 14 Jun 2008 08:43:46

Local standard time in your area: 14 Jun 2008 08:43:46

Location with respect to nearby cities:

82 km (51 miles) SW (214 degrees) of Morioka, Honshu, Japan

83 km (52 miles) SSE (147 degrees) of Akita, Honshu, Japan

98 km (61 miles) NNW (346 degrees) of Sendai, Honshu, Japan

390 km (242 miles) N (11 degrees) of TOKYO, Japan

ADDITIONAL EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS

event ID : US 2008tfdp

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist at NEIC

For subsequent updates, maps, and technical information, see:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008tfdp.php

or

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

National Earthquake Information Center

U.S. Geological Survey

http://neic.usgs.gov

DISCLAIMER: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/ens/help.html#disclaimer

This email was sent to straker@straker.net

You requested mail for events between -90.0/90.0 latitude and

180.0/-180.0 longitude

for M5.5 at all times.

Your account has aftershock exclusion turned on.

This event fell into the 'AT00340063' exclusion region, but was large

enough to trigger notification.

To change your parameters or unsubscribe, go to:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/ens

Just a slight movement here but definitely felt it.

6kyo - pretty big! sadface

Hope all are well, the reports of casualties and broken bridges are coming in....

Noticed this

Quote:
The world's first earthquake early warning system gave Japanese residents a few seconds to prepare for aftershocks that followed a 7.0-magnitude quake that killed at least three people and left thousands stranded.

The warning system, launched in October, kicked in for the quake in Iwate, a mountainous rural area in northern Japan, which struck at 8:43am (local time).

The Japan Meteorological Agency said the first warning was issued four seconds after seismic waves were first detected.

But in Tokyo, some 500 kilometres from the epicentre, an alert was flashed on public broadcaster NHK moments before residents of the capital felt a tremor.

The agency issued warnings in time for aftershocks, including a 5.6-magnitude quake. A small window alerting residents opens on the NHK screen each time the meteorological agency issues a warning.

what about the unlucky guy who died after running out of his shaking building right into the path of a passing truck!! How unlucky can you get??!!

Hope everyone else is A-OK up there

That mountain that "disappeared" with the road hanging off is wild. Was there really no-one in that area or on that road when it happened. Lets hope so!

interesting that this quake was about the same size as both the Hanshin quake and the recent Shichuan. I guess building codes are more strongly enforced in Iwate than in certain other places partly also the houses in that area are built stronger than usual to accommodate heavy loads of roof snow in winter.

I was basing in on richter and the Iwate Quake and Hanshin one were both 7.2 Richter on the richter, I thought that Chinese quake was about 7.2 aswell but it 'twas in fact 7.8 richter, considerably more potent - touche.

Moment magnitude, Richter magnitude, Mercalli, Shindo....too many scales, the former two the most difficult!

I personally prefer Mercalli for a laymans scale

Hope everyone is OK. Other than the initial report, there has been little broadcast news about this in the States. I was away from the internet all weekend, so I haven't been able to get info until just now.

In a way it's good that there isn't a bunch of news - that means that there were few casualties: The US news only dwells on occurrences in Asia if thousands die.

SG there is a big debate even among scholars which scale is best for what. Lately most of the estimations are done using the moment magnitude. But anyway, as long as you use the same scale to compare some earthquakes then you are ok.