http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?no_interstitial

"“I don’t think the campaign will have any positive effect. Now if you did this in the United States, there would be benefits, since there are many Americans who weigh more than 100 kilograms,” or about 220 pounds, Mr. Ogushi said. “But the Japanese are so slender that they can’t afford to lose weight.”"

Yes, I have never seen any slim americans or fat japanese rolleyes

This law, is going to be another way for medical bills, doctor visits, and insurance companies to turn a few yen. It, in my mind, since it is a national law, is going to be something along the lines of "medicated america" - overprescribed and unnecessary medicine...

"To reach its goals of shrinking the overweight population by 10 percent over the next four years and 25 percent over the next seven years, the government will impose financial penalties on companies and local governments that fail to meet specific targets. The country’s Ministry of Health argues that the campaign will keep the spread of diseases like diabetes and strokes in check."

Why is the companies and local governments responsibilities to deal with weight? Why isnt it the overweight persons'?? For me, as a homeroom teacher in Japan, lots of students issues including friends, grades, attitudes, etc, all fall on my shoulders. Shocking how, eventhough this school is great, there are sooooo many parents who just dont know WTF their child is up to. Where should the responsibility lie? With me (or companies/local govt) or the parents (overweight people)? Seems obvious to me...

"Still, at a city gym in Amagasaki recently, dozens of residents — few of whom appeared overweight — danced to the city’s anti-metabo song, which warned against trouser buttons popping and flying away, “pyun-pyun-pyun!”"

rollabout

lets metabo song! rolleyes

Another unnecessary measure by the govt...why dont we just ban fast food, colas, and asahi beer?

Is this new 'law' really going to be implemented as the NY Times article suggests? A lot of western media portrayals of Japan just twist things around to make Japan look freakish. I have heard about the 85 cm waist line thing though and everyone's talking about 'metabo' without knowing what it is. Certainly seems silly.

The 85 cm rule is ridiculous!

How can you have the same standards for a guy that is 160,175 and 190...

I just pay completely no attention to the whole metabo thing, its just a new trend and it will die as such after 1-2 years. thumbsdown