Originally Posted By: brit-gob
I don't know when the 'unofficial' birthday is, but tomorrow is her offical one.

I wonder if she prefers Niseko or Hakuba.

In the land of kiwis, her unofficial Birthday is the first Monday in June, its the last public holiday until October...long time to go without a 3 day weekend and the crazy thing is that when Sir Ed Hillary died recently there was talk of making his birthday (July 20) a holiday and apprently the majority of people said we dont need a another public holiday...WTF? seeing as it the middle of the ski season in NZ am sure most snow enthusiasts would love a 3 day weekend.

And to answer your question, I have it good authority she likes steep with her deep.

In the land of Oz, we "celebrated her "official" (as opposed to actual) birthday last weekend.

:rant on:

We gave away a heap of "Queen's birthday honours" to people who were just doing their job - such as John Winston Howard, the ex-primeminister, whose reward was for "contribution to politics". Um, as PM, wasn't it his job to contribute to politics??

I believe that the point of these honours has been lost by the sheer number of them, and the people who actually earn them by doing "above and beyond" the call of duty, get shafted by these people who are just doing their jobs.

:rant off:

Originally Posted By: happyhappy
Did you have a big party in the street?

nope. A long weekend (3 days off and full pay for the Monday) was all. I do npt think many Aussies actually think much about Liz's birthday except it means a holiday.

The honours list is drwan up by the government in power. If Brown says his hairdresser gets an OBE, then Lizzie will confer. It's the protocol.

So, who gets an honour? How much did you contribute to the campaign fund?

Nope, we don't give royal (or British) honours, these are Order of Australia honours, awarded on Liz's "birthday". They are also chucked around at New Year.

But, as you say, the government makes up the list, I just think it's quite ordinaire for someone to get a gong for doing just exactly what they are already being paid for (and often quite handsomely, thank you, very much! Again I refer to JWH - who took his PM Salary and the gong for the same job)