Will be in Japan at the end of Jan or beginning of Feb 09.

tsondaboy, Yes, I know it's a better/wiser idea for me to actually wait until the season starts. ashamed But since I haven't been touched Japanese snow for the last 15 yrs and there's an opportunity for me to do so, I'm just overly excited about it.

So which area/resort do you all think is a good place for me? I'm not looking to do any BC, but I know I want some steeps hill when the condition is right. If it's ice skating link, then I usually just stay on the intermediate runs.

Basically, I'm looking for variation of steepness, long runs, and prefer wider runs. I am not really looking for any parks or jibbing action in Japan.

The reason why I said Kagura/Naeba or Hakuba area is those area seem to be convenient destinations via train/shinkansen, and hotels nearby the resorts.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Either way would be ok then, thats why I said wait till you come here to decide. I had 15 days up in hakuba and 15 days up in Yuzawa this season. What would make big difference is where it has snowed recently. If you are planing to use trains to move around, then Yuzawa has easier/cheaper access than Hakuba. On the other hand Hakuba has bigger resorts than Yuzawa.

Yea... the ease of transportation after train was a clear point for me, but taking a bus for >1hr from the Nagano train station to the resort/hotel isn't too bad to me. I mean it takes me at least 3.5 hrs to get to resorts around Lake Tahoe from where I live. angry

How are those resorts (Kagura, Naeba, Hakuba Goryou/HappoOne) after a storm or decent snow fall? I'm planning to hit them up on the weekday (Mon/Tues or Tues/Wed), but I'd like to avoid the crowd as much as possible. I don't wanna deal with crowded slopes as I already do so at the Tahoe resorts.

Originally Posted By: t177
How are those resorts (Kagura, Naeba, Hakuba Goryou/HappoOne) after a storm or decent snow fall?

Epic... coolmirrors

Happo has probably the longest inbounds ungroomed runs from these 4. But also the biggest kick ass mogule runs when it hasn't snowed for a while.
Originally Posted By: Roger's head
Yuzawa might be even quicker though even though it is further - shink and then free bus to nearby resort.

if he is going to GALA then there is no bus, you can get a shink straight to the resort

No much more than that. There are generally 1 or 2 an hour to the main Echigo Yuzawa station from 7am > midnight and if I remember correctly maybe around half (less?) of those go on to Gala (during the resort opening hours) with more around opening and closing hours I would guess.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Tell me about it, we are in mid June and I am already making plans for next season. razz

I already made plans banner groovy

...north island here I come smile

Can I convince you to replan your trip and come for a 1 week tour in Tohoku resorts? smile

Anyone coming to Zao should drop me a pm.

If you want good weather miller, you'll have to watch the forecast and be prepared to travel at short notice.

Hachimantai was closed last season (I think).