As CB just said in the chatbox, aircon on today for the first time. I wonder why today rather than the beginning of the week. There must be a reason, today isn't as hot as yesterday....

24 shifty thats way too cold for my taste. We are only 4 people in the room so we decide how high/low we are gonna set it. Good think that no one likes it that low. I think it will have to be midsummer to set the air con at 26 deg and a heatwave to set it at 25.

Looks like it is turning on season this week. It must be in the budget or something, doesn't seem to be directly related to "today being bloody hot"!

Originally Posted By: ger
Originally Posted By: cal
I like it set to 24.

24?! That's not healthy.

24 not healthy?

I liked 19-21 but my wife would always put it up to 24!
No air con here today. 14 degrees doh

you'll set it to 24 but it won't be 24 in the room.

The recomended setting as advised by the innept government here is 25.5C

The buses set their to 16

the office buildings to 18

the malls to 18

My apartment to 26.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
you'll set it to 24 but it won't be 24 in the room.

Yeah, that's true. I just don't think that cranking up the aircon is good for anyone. For one thing, it's just not necessary and it's bad for the environment. For another, your body doesn't adjust to the season properly if your home or office is super-cool. The way convenience stores, malls, theatres and so on crank up the air con is sick, I think. Fortunately, I think with all of this 'cool biz' stuff in Japan now people are hopefully starting to use the airconditioner a little more sparingly. Heat is something you get used to. Thursday, you must be pretty used to the heat, living in Hong Kong and probably having to wear more formal attire around a lot.

can bear the heat a bit. It's the humidity that kills you. The wet air and the vehicle exhaust fumes makes a fairly acid breathing coctail. That and a tie round your neck when venturing out for lunch.

OK, here are a few scientific facts:

The average 30 year old person's body generates or retains:

an extra 1.4 degrees from not drinking enough water

an extra 0.8 degrees from improper diet (too much starch and not enough fruit and veggies)

and an extra 2.3 degrees from the mental stress of worrying about heat.

And if you spend 7 hours outside in 30 degree weather, your body releases 764 grams of toxins through sweat. Moreover, that 7 hours outside will enable your metabolism to deal with the heat better such that the perceived temperature will 2.7 degrees cooler the next day. 45 minutes of rigorous exercise such as jogging will have the same effect.

trains can be artic cold in summer, I hate the extreme range of temps so I always aim for the mildly conditioned carriage. Kintetsu trains have them, I dont know about the crappy JR lines though....