Quick question if we happen to have an herpetologue on the SJ forums:

While walking near a river, I have come across a snake:

brownish color (aren't they all smile ), but the striking feature was an extremely bright yellow patch on top of a a triangular-shaped head (again, pretty standard). It was a juvenile. I have done a bit of looking on google but cannot find pictures that match exactly what I saw. I assume it is either a Chinese Keeled ratsnake (Chugoku-Syuda) or a Yonaguni keeled ratsnake (Yonaguni-Syuda). I saw it by a small pool of water full of tadpoles. I assume it is feeding off the tadpoles which are plentiful and must be a great food source.

I tried to take a picture, but it slithered away under a rotten tree trunk before I could take any decent shot, and I was not going to lift the trunk just to take a picture of the little bugger and disturb its habitat.

Anyway, if anybody knows exactly what specy has that bright yellow patch on its head as juvenile, that would help my curiosity.

Thanks.

NPM, I saw it in Tanzawa when I went fly-fishing.

Not much plans for the summer I must say.

I'll try to go to Yuzawa a few times to hike a little bit and practice with some of the climbing gear I got.

Tsonda, no worries. I used to boogy-board a little but have never really tried surfing. I do windsurfing mostly, especially when I am in hawaii which has some great conditions. A friend of mine who goes to hawaii surfing all the time has asked me to join him and his friend one of these week-ends in Chiba I think he said... I am thinking about it.

Thanks SG, this is where I had been looking for to come up with the 2 suggestions.

Cheers for the link slow. Some of them look kind of similar, but not really the same. I cannot find anywhere that rectangular bright yellow spot on the head anywhere.

CB, the one I saw was around 20-30cm and very thin.

Glad my wife was not around or she would have freaked.