Do you know your local area well?

I thought I did - well, I thought I knew it fairly well.

But this last month or so I have been finding out tons more and lots of places that I just didn't know existed.

Two recent 'new discovery' outings in the other forum area:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthread...html#Post271193

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/272958/Temple_Shrines_Tour_II.html#Post272958

All that lot within 30 minutes of my home and I never knew about them.

I've decided to study up a bit on local history and stuff and find out more and find those hard to find places.

Highly recommended.

dance

Do you know your local area really well?

Next time I'm down there wouldn't mind going to those places muika.

There's a lot of places near me that I haven't been to yet and probably even more I don't know about. Still crossing them off the list one by one.

I know my local area pretty well in terms of what there is and seeing them, but I'm not well up on history and things like that. I find that lots of things here are really tucked away and difficult to actually find rather than be told about them and go.

OK, within a couple of minutes drive of here are ...

The Big Golden Guitar

The Australian Country Music Museum

Some seriously important olive groves (just kidding - that is just outside my door! wink wink)

An hour or so away is a man-made dam that holds (when/if it is ever full) an amount of water greater than 3 Sydney Harbours.

Also a couple of hours up the road are the gem fossicking areas of Inverell and the surrounds. (Emeralds, in particular).

I'd say I know mine pretty well..

Everyone should check it out!

This weekend is the Vines seafood and wine festival at a few wineries.. I'll be doing my best to sample the local produce!

I think I know my area pretty well. Friends have shown me lots of places that I never would have known about on my own though, it's always worth getting people to take you around and show you places.

Nice pics muikaboch.

Nice pics Muika, but I dunno about anyone else but I'm WAAAAY Shrine/temple'd out!!! In my local area I really don't wanna see anymore shrines. I live quite near to Kamakura and although I haven't seen half of them, I'm kinda done with looking at shrines, I have seen too many of them to go searching for them. Fujisawa also has a few really cool ones that I liked seeing when I first got here but I guess its now just a mild indifference I have now. I'd rather see the "real" side of the place I'm visiting. Kamakura has some nice walking trails that come out alongside some cool shrines, I really enjoyed seeing them, but now I'd rather just do the walk for the enjoyment of being in the forest as opposed to finiding a little known shrine

I know mine well, not that there is too much in my immediate area. Having colleagues who'll take and show you is a big help, as is a car.