• No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Originally Posted By: SubZero
I prefer neither:
One is old and likely to be a puppet like Reagan, whilst the other (looking past all the shiny teeth and Kennedy-like gestures) has uncomfortable links to Islam.

Having a dodgy background (linked to Indonesia) is not the type of person I'd consider appropriate to have the finger on 'the button'.

What on earth...? rolleyes Are you serious? Maybe, just maybe, some bloke whose experience is broader than the typical Good ol' Boy is the kind of bloke you want running the show. I agree that Clinton would have been good and may actually have had a better appeal amongst the left leaning republicans but excluding a guy because he has some personal experience with Islam is absurd.

Not that I understand a lot (or even a little) about how the US government functions, but given the forces and special interests and lobbying involved, you have to wonder whether any president really could effect much change. Certainly, significant change to things like health and education and defence etc, would probably be very difficult.

I'm looking forward to the day a declared atheist is elected president.
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A crack team of cybernauts will form a rapid response internet “war room” to track and respond aggressively to online rumours that Barack Obama is unpatriotic and a Muslim.

As he gears up for his general election fight against John McCain, Mr Obama and his chief advisers are aware of the danger of such rumours, amid polling data showing that a significant number of Americans believe he is a Muslim or are suspicious about his background. Such doubts were a factor in his poor showing with white, blue-collar voters during his primary battle with Hillary Clinton."

Originally Posted By: griller
"A crack team of cybernauts will form a rapid response internet “war room” to track and respond aggressively to online rumours that Barack Obama is unpatriotic and a Muslim.

As he gears up for his general election fight against John McCain, Mr Obama and his chief advisers are aware of the danger of such rumours, amid polling data showing that a significant number of Americans believe he is a Muslim or are suspicious about his background. Such doubts were a factor in his poor showing with white, blue-collar voters during his primary battle with Hillary Clinton."

In a democracy, people really do get the government they deserve, don't they? rolleyes

Fox is doing it's best to be fair and balanced still I see

Quote:
Fox News anchor ED Hill has lost her show a week after suggesting Barack Obama and his wife Michelle's on-stage victory gesture could be seen as a "terrorist fist jab".

Hill, the anchor of Fox News show America's Pulse, made the comment last Friday after Obama and his wife affectionately bumped fists before his victory speech on becoming the Democratic candidate for president.

"A fist bump? A pound? A terrorist fist jab? The gesture everyone seems to interpret differently," said Hill in her show. "We'll show you some interesting body communication and find out what it really says."

On on-screen captions, Fox News are already labelling her "Obama's Baby Mama". It may not strictly qualify as racism, but feeds straight into stereotypes that are. Its all that flipflopper and Swift Boat nonsense again. Kerry went to Nam but was defamed for it, while draft dodging Bush got off scot free. Its brainless propaganda.

The voting machines and the corporate media are still there, as is the Supreme Court if needed, so I can only see another Republican win. Obama is at least 90% gloss, but the other bit is meaningfully better than McCain. That's why it still matters, and why most of the media will go after him.

In the big picture, the USA is in a really bad way, so whoever wins is going to inherit a huge mess. He will have his hands tied from the get go. The wars and the cost of importing oil are bankrupting them. Stiglitz reckons the war will cost three trillion, and the yearly oil bill is well over $2000 per capita. A lot of that is burnt in big cars and leaky houses that contribute nothing to GDP.

I hope McCain selects a good running mate and not some kind of moron in case he dies during his term in office. Who knows we might end up with someone worse than Bush Jr.

Read somewhere there's a good chance he will pick a woman or someone from a minority.

When do they have to announce their Number 2s?

An aide to Republican presidential hopeful John McCain has said he regrets telling a reporter that a terror attack on the US would be "an advantage".

Charlie Black made the comments to a journalist from Fortune magazine.

Mr McCain has distanced himself from Mr Black's comments, saying he "strenuously disagree" with him.

• 1 month later...

Liked this thread of talk

John McCain, who only days ago said it took an annual income of $5m (£2.5m) to be counted as truly rich, yesterday came under attack for admitting he had lost track of how many homes he owned.

In a godsend to the Democrats, the Republican was caught out when asked in an interview how many homes he owned. "I think ... I'll have my staff get to you," McCain told Politico, a Washington insider news website, and then muttered something about condominiums.

McCain's wife, Cindy, inherited one of America's biggest beer distribution firms and has an estimated fortune of $200m. The couple reportedly own seven homes in Arizona, California and Virginia, worth a combined total of about $13m. But Politico was told by his campaign they had four.

The Obama camp has been trying to draw attention to the McCains's wealth, in part to defend the Democrat against Republican charges that he is elitist.

Quote:
John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential candidate on the Republican ticket for the White House, a senior McCain campaign official has told CNN. The 44-year-old Palin, now in her first term as governor, is a pioneering figure in Alaska, the first woman and the youngest person to hold the state's top political job.

Not that I know anything about this lady, but.... very interesting choice that.

In the prez 'card race', to counter any race card McCain, has pulled an equally big gender card. Cunning plan by McCain.

I was watching the Daily show the other day and it was hilarious the montage of "serious" reporters they assembled speaking of one card or another: the race card, the change card, the populous card, the fear card, the Europe card, the patriotism card, the woman as victim card, the gender card, the class card and the Maliki card.

Lots of cards. How about the who give a *&^% card?

Plenty of people playing that themselves. I believe CreekBoy back in the US of A has played that card, quite unbearable all the coverage.