1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I've built machines and I've bought machines. If you build a lot of machines and keep up with what components work well then you get ok savings, but as JA says you put your money into the bits that need to rock, so it's hard to compare apples with apples. No manufacturer would build machines for the masses with the spec of a home built machine.

Get it wrong and you end up with a slow machine in spite of the specs, hardware incompatibilities and driver hell, especially with Windows. Linux is more accommodating.

A flatmate attempted to build himself a high end Video Editing Suite. He bought an interesting mix of high end and cheaper parts and tried to put it together. To start with not all the parts fitted due to mechanical problems, which we eventually sorted. Then we couldn't get everything to work. It took a long week before we had it running. And even then while it worked acceptably, it certainly didn't boogie like it was supposed to. I don't think he'll do it again.

I would compare it to building a kit car - if you're not into it, don't do it!

Absolutely true, JM. My thoughts expressed much more eloquently (and with much more clarity) than I managed. Domo arigatou gosaimasu!

The secret with building your own PC is to get the MoBo first, then check the specs of ALL the other bits carefully. That way you'll end up with a box that does the job.

Take special care with selection of memory modules -stuff them up and you might as well stick tour head in the toilet for all the fun you'll get!

• 4 months later...

Looks like the next one will just be "7".

A number of commentators point out that the release is not Microsoft's seventh at all, whichever way you look at it.

The company has released Windows, Windows 2, Windows 3.0, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista.

This new edition should therefore be Windows 8 if Windows XP is counted as a release. If Windows XP is not counted because it is Kernel 5.1, then 'Windows 7' should be Windows 6.1.

"What will happen when the 'real' Windows 7.0 comes around in x years? Wait a second I thought Windows 7 was released years ago," said a posting under the name of 'PatriotB'.

"I guess you guys thought Windows 6.1 didn't slip off the tongue. But still, don't lie to people and muddy everything up."

Another reader, called 'Resplendent', said: "It does seem like an odd shift to go from 'names' (Millennium/XP/Vista) back to numbers again."

Just took delivery of a new Sony Vaio with Vista preinstalled. I was a bit concerned about making the upgrade from XP, because I'm afraid of anything new.

So when I opened the box to find an XP downgrade install disc, it was the first thing I did. Clean install, change the taskbar and folders to "Windows classic" mode.... ahhh, just like Windows 95 again. Like a comfy doona.

biggrin

That's how I feel about Vista.

You're a nutter, mate!

You did that on a new (presumably) clean, powerful machine?

Seriously, I have Vista and XP machines. I really don't like using the XP on now it really seems so dated, Vista is far more pleasant experience.

Of course within a few minutes, Windows Update was malfunctioning, and I had to force a reintall of the Update Agent, but that's part of the charm of Windows. If I wanted a perfectly smooth-running OS, I'd get a Mac. wink

New machines are never "clean", they're always loaded up with junk I never use. I prefered a clean OS install, and build up from there. It's not such a powerful machine either, 1.3GHz proc/2G RAM, one of the 11.1" ultraportables, so I reckon XP will be just fine for me, and the apps I run. The only "upgrade" I needed, was from a 40G HDD to a 120G HDD, to free up some space for my iTunes library.

Here is how to count

Microsoft gives a version number to each operating system. First there was Windows 1.0, then Windows 2.0, then Windows 3.0. Forget all the point numbers like 3.11 for a moment. Because the next major release was Windows 4.0, which is better known as Windows 95.

Every operating system up through Windows ME was built on the Windows 4 code, and it wasn't until Windows 2000 that Windows hit 5.0.

Windows Vista was version 6. And the next OS will be Windows 7.

So ignore Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows Home Server 2008, and pretty much everything you thought you knew about Windows. Because Windows 7 is the seventh version of the operating system.

I have to comps, old desk top with XP and new laptop with Vista, and hardly use the desk top now, I like vista so much more.

Where people might find a problem with vista is if they upgrade an old spec XP comp to vista, basically the older models haven't got the processing or graphics power that Vista demands. That is why all new comps come with eather dual or quad core processors 2- 4 gb memory and powerful graphics cards so that they can handle vista easily, thus giving a great computing experience.

This goes with any windows, never good to upgrade to a later version on an old comp, because always the latest version hogs more memory and demands more processing power.

Of all the windows that microsoft ever developed, win 98 was the worst ever, always crashing.

As an installer, I love Vista!! The XP installs used to get me an hour's work. New Vista installs take upwards of an hour and a half, more money for me ! Yeah!!