• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

JM,

Cannot vote because I have never been tempted. The current systems I have (in all 7PCs/lappys - all but 1 running XPPro)do whatever I need to do and no major hassles.

However, that said, I DO have an opine, if only because one of my jobs is to install and maintain new boxes sold by a major retail chain in Oz.

So ... as a technician installing PCs, Vista creates a painful exercise. It insists on asking about every single thing you start/run. This "security" feature is a right pain when what you are doing requires you to run any number of new applications, set them up and personalise them for the customer (who is ALWAYS right, even when they are dead wrong!). I know, you can turn it off, but then you've gotta remember to turn it back on for the (usually first time) user who hasn't a clue.

The initial setup takes longer than XP (the people I contract to have extendedthe time for a "clean, new" install from 60 minutes (including a minimal amount of training in basics) to 90 minutes, also including some small amount of time for basic training (such as where is the "stop" button?)

As far as the maintenance, I LOVE Vista! clap Why? Because it generates a lot more maintenance calls than XP ever did! I do not, particularly, enjoy the hassles of trying to find what has happened, but the extra money is welcome!

I like my computer to not give me hassle, that's all.

I have had less hassle since I got Vista.

So I suppose that means "it rocks" for me.

Luckily I would think that most people do not do what you do JA and probably just turn on their computer use it and turn it off. That's what I do. I have had Vista for about a month now and I think it is definitely better than XP was and on a superficial level also looks much better. All good with me.

I give the thumbs up though I also find it hard to get too excited about an operating system. Not had any problems here.

From what I remember lots of the problems were with people upgrading and having older perps. Luckily I got mine with a new pc and also all my printers etc were all ok. So for me, all good and I think it is definitely better than XP.

I was gonna upgrade to vista for my new box.

but the guy at the shop said that windows 7.0 was coming out in 2009 anyway, so i installed xp pro..

lots of companies are rolling back to xp pro..

i cant say anything about vista because i never used it..

xp pro works good ..

Quote:
but the guy at the shop said that windows 7.0 was coming out in 2009 anyway, so i installed xp pro

....and so get an older version?
I don't really see the logic there.
Originally Posted By: r45
Quote:
but the guy at the shop said that windows 7.0 was coming out in 2009 anyway, so i installed xp pro

....and so get an older version?
I don't really see the logic there.

I guess so kokodoko saves money in the long run instead of having to fork out for two EXPENSIVE o/s in the space of two years?

A new computer with XP or Vista costs the same, doesn't it?

I'd get Vista if I bought a new machine. Looks nice.

An old printer didn't work at first but I downloaded a new driver from the manufacturers website and all is fine now, other than that no problems and I like it. Looks good, like the search facility, it is very stable, general improvement I think.

Originally Posted By: rach
A new computer with XP or Vista costs the same, doesn't it?

I'd get Vista if I bought a new machine. Looks nice.

Unless you have an accommodating salesperson, you'll get blister. Most new boxes are preloaded with the install setup for Vista, so that is the default. You might be able to get a 'downgrade' XP load, but that would depend on the store policy and the availability of a licence.

IF you have an old copy of XP, you could trash the drive and install XP as a clean install.

Was my point, in fact. The machine will have vista preloaded, would be an effort (and possibly extra cost) to go to XP.

OK, I build all my own desktops. (Have 3 so far) and install whatever OS I want.

As I said earlier, if XP does everything I want it to, why would I bother changing. I have a licenced CD copy of XP, trash the old Drive before I sell them.

Why should you indeed. Leave it for those who want more. wink

When I get a computer I turn it on and just use it. Dead simple that and suits me. I would have no idea how to even begin building a computer.

How much does it cost JA. Say take a Dell model and then you make one to pretty much the same spec - what would be the difference in cost?

Buy most parts eBay, so depends on the desperation level of the seller.

I actually never bother to compare with Dell, or anyone else. I get a machine that is EXACTLY how I want it. with everything I need/want and I get the parts as I can, not built to a time line. Simply, I do not ever get something that Dell would sell, always a tiny bit higher spec wink than theirs.

Yeah I get that you don't buy from Dell JA I was just interested about the difference there might be in the cost/price between something new self made and something of similar spec that someone like Dell or HP or Sony is selling.

Like I said, I don't bother to do the comparisons, as I don't buy parts commercially. NFI what they would sell a machine speced as I build.

Simple, really.